1. Home
  2.  |  
  3. Economy

White Revolution in India

21-DEC-2016 16:23

    India is the largest milk producing country in the world. It produced 146.31 million tonnes of milk in 2014-15.  India has low Milk productivity as compare to western countries; still it tops the list of largest milk producing country in the world because of the larger number of cattle in the country. Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh, Punjab and Haryana are the major milk producing states in India. India is also the largest producer of buffalo milk in the world.

    History: During the 1964-65, Intensive Cattle Development Programme (ICDP) was introduced in the country in which a package of improved animal husbandry was given to cattle owners for promoting the white revolution in the country. Later on to increase the speed of the white revolution, a new programme named “operation flood” was introduced in the country by the National Dairy Development Board.

    Which features were behind the success of 'Operation Flood' in India?

    (i). Adoption of new methods in the case of cattle in animal husbandry.

    (ii).Changing the composition of feed ingredients in different proportions.

    The operation flood was launched in three phases:

    Phase I (1970–1980) was financed by the sale of skimmed milk powder and butter oil donated by the European Union (then the European Economic Community) through the World Food Program.

    Impact of Green Revolution on India

    Phase II (1981–1985) increased the milk-sheds from 18 to 136; urban markets expanded the outlets for milk to 290. By the end of 1985, a self-sustaining system of 43,000 village cooperatives with 4,250,000 milk producers were covered.

    Phase III (1985–1996) enabled dairy cooperatives to expand and strengthen the infrastructure required to procure and market increasing volumes of milk.  This phase added 30000 new dairy cooperatives which led to 73000.

    Jagranjosh

    Image source:Listz

    Dr. Verghese Kurien is called the father of white revolution in India. India produces around 17% milk of the world. About 80% of the milk production in the country is in the organized sector while the remaining 20% is shared equally by the cooperatives and private diaries.

    In India, over 1.50 lakh village level diary cooperative societies, spread over 265 districts in the country, collects about 26 million litres of milk per day.

    Milk Production and Per Capita Availability in India

    Year

    Milk production (million tonnes)

    Per capita Availability (gms/day)

    1950-51

    17

    124

    1960-61

    20

    124

    1970-71

    22

    112

    1980-81

    31.6

    128

    1991-92

    53.9

    176

    2000-01

    80.6

    220

    2005-06

    97.1

    241

    2009-10

    116.4

    273

    2010-11

    121.8

    281

    2011-12

    127.9

    290

    2012-13

    132.4

    298

    2013-14

    137.7

    311

    2014-15

    146.31

    350

    Source: ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India

    At the conclusion it can be said that this operation was launched to help farmers to ensure their own development, placing control of the resources they created by their own hands. All this was achieved not merely by mass production, but by production by the masses.

    High Yielding Variety Seeds and Green Revolution in India

    DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.

    Latest Videos

    Register to get FREE updates

      All Fields Mandatory
    • (Ex:9123456789)
    • Please Select Your Interest
    • Please specify

    • ajax-loader
    • A verifcation code has been sent to
      your mobile number

      Please enter the verification code below

    This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK