As every year, RBI has conducted and released the results of RBI Grade B Phase I promptly and it is time for the candidates to shift their focus to tier 2 examination which is hardly a week away. This is the real battle for the candidates since the final list will be prepared taking into account the marks of the phase II along with the interview marks. The phase II examination consists of English, Economic and Social Issues and Finance and Management. Each paper will have 100 marks allotted to it and you have to score as much as possible to have a final shot at that coveted job as officer of the central bank. In English paper, you will have questions on essay, letter writing, précis writing etc. In this article, we shall discuss about the points you should remember while writing précis in the examination.
Précis writing is an art: Approach it in the right way
Précis writing is basically presenting a passage economically with the central idea of the passage not disturbed at all. It is like explaining the idea of a passage in your own words within a given word limit. So, you need to watch your words while writing a précis in the examination. These are some of the important tips for the examination:
1) Get the central idea of the passage: This is the most important aspect of writing a précis since this is what is tested in any question on précis writing. While in the job, you may be asked to brief your superiors about something and then, your précis writing skills will be brought to practice. You are expected to be precise while attempting this type of questions but not by compromising with the main theme of the passage.
2) Keep the word limit in mind: Another important aspect of writing a précis is that you are supposed to be precise and that is why, it is prescribed that the world limit for the précis writing should be around one third of the total words in the actual passage. While writing the précis, always keep this in mind since writing precisely without missing any point is the key to a good précis.
3) Identify the key words: This is very important to understand the main idea of a passage. You will have to identify certain words which are actually the keywords of the passage and you have to build your précis based on the sense implied by these words. So, identify these words but you should not use them while writing the précis since you are expected to write it in your own words.
4) Give a title to the précis: Most of the candidates forget it since they are mainly concerned about deciding the word limit and writing the précis in the most precise and effective manner. You are required to give a title to your précis without fail since that gives the reader an idea regarding the topic you have presented in the précis. Never ever forget to give a title to your précis otherwise your hard work will be wasted.
5) Choose your words easily: While writing about the topic in the précis, you are advised to use your words very wisely since you are not required to write much but you are expected to write effectively and accurately. Your words will make all the difference in your marks given in this section of the paper.
Précis writing is an art and that is why, you need to treat it accordingly. Write when you are sure about the words you are using and you are confirmed about the main idea presented in the passage. Keep in mind two things: read the passage properly and write the précis precisely.
All the best !!