In the CDS as well as the NDA exams, questions on Reading Comprehension (Passage) are frequent and demand a proper strategy from the aspirants. Moreover, the section proves to be critical for those who completed their schooling in vernaculars.
At face value, the Passage Questions seem tough nut to crack; but in reality it is not so. By using proper techniques, one can solve around 90% of the questions with little efforts. For the benefit of UPSC CDS (I) 2018 Exam and UPSC NDA & NA (I) 2018 aspirants, we are providing some useful tips that will help in answering the Reading Comprehension Question with more accuracy. The tips are as given below.
1. Mind mapping: Research suggests that mind mapping technique is a valuable strategy to boost scores in reading comprehension section. This technique involves structuring and ordering of thinking by creating a visual representation of statements and facts given in a passage. This technique is helpful for both types of content - fiction as well as non-fiction. It also helps in locating the answers in the passage quickly and know the deeper thought process of the writer.
2. Remember not all questions are difficult: The NDA & CDS Exam question papers are prepared on scientific principles. In any given question paper of UPSC, neither all the questions are difficult nor easy. This principle is applied at the section level also. For instance, in a set of four questions asked at the end of a passage, two will be easy, one will be difficult and one will be more difficult. While easy questions are direct in nature, difficult questions can be answered only with the careful understanding of the content of the passage. It means, 50% of questions can be solved with very little efforts and the candidates’ real efforts are needed to solve the remaining 50% questions.
3. Active reading of passage: Active reading of passage helps the aspirant in a big way. This kind of reading entails raising probable questions on the basis of information given in the passage. It means, think yourself as a Question Paper Setter and frame questions by locating the such statements/facts in the passage which are suitable to become answers for a probable question. This exercise helps in saving time and improving the accuracy of answers.
4. Know the types of questions: Aspirants must know that around 80-90% of passage questions fall under predetermined categorization like questions on meaning of a difficult word used in passage, tone of the passage, suitable title for the given passage, writer is probably arguing for, what do you think of a quoted phrase, etc. Knowing these different type of questions in advance help the NDA & CDS aspirants in avoiding unnecessary stress in the exam hall.
5. Read the questions first: Reading the question, along with the options, beforehand. This boosts the aspirants familiarity with the content given in the passage and locating the answers in the passage. However, the aspirants should exercise caution before deploying this technique since it is more beneficial to those who are habitual readers and may prove counter productive for the beginners.
We suggest the NDA & CDS aspirants to practice the passage questions using the above mentioned five techniques.
Best wishes from Jagran Josh!!!!
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
CDS Exam (I) 2019 Eligibility, Exam Pattern and Detailed Syllabus
UPSC CDS 2 Admit Card 2018 Released, Exam on 18 November at 41 Centres
UPSC Announces NDA & NA (I) 2018 Written Exam Result, Course Commencing from 2nd January
Alert: Online Application for UPSC NDA (II) 2018 Closing Today, 383 Posts in Army, Navy & Air Force