General Awareness for MBA : 11 November to 17 November
Nov 17, 2014 14:06 IST
- Union Government on 12 November 2014 constituted a high-level Inter-Ministerial Committee (IMC) to ensure smooth allocation of 204 cancelled coal blocks. The committee will provide advise on policy issues and interact with the industry.
- International Finance Corp (IFC) arm of World Bank on 11 November 2014 issued 10 billion rupee Masala bond to fund infrastructure development.
- Reserve Bank of India on 10 November 2014 tightened its norms for Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs) by requiring them to have a much stronger capital base. Failing to which, the NBFCs would lose their CoR (Certificate of Registration). NBFCs have been given time till March 2017 to comply with the norms.
- Bollywood Actor Farhan Akhtar was on 14 November 2014 appointed as UN Women Goodwill Ambassador for South Asia. Farhan is the first male ever to be chosen as a Goodwill Ambassador in the organization’s history.
- Child Rights and You (CRY) launched Project Unlearn with an aim to end child labour and encourage children to go to school. It was launched on 14 November 2014 on eve of Children’s Day.
- Mitch McConnell was on 13 November 2014 elected as the Majority Leader of the 100-member US Senate. He is originally known by the name Addison Mitchell McConnell, Jr.
- Former Indian Police Service (IPS) Officer K C Reddy was on 11 November 2014 appointed as the member of United Nations (UN) probe panel on Gaza. Earlier, KC Reddy served as a UN security advisor for Syria.
- The Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) on 14 November 2014 approved the HDFC Bank proposal to raise foreign investment ceiling of the bank to 74 percent.
- Tata Sons Chairman Ratan Tata on 14 November 2014 was inducted on the board of INTERPOL Foundation to contribute to two new global initiatives aimed at combating organised crime and terrorist activities by the foundation.
- Panasonic India on 15 November 2014 launched Smartphone Eluga S. It is priced at 11190 rupees.
- Google Nexus 6, the first phablet of search engine giant Google, was officially unveiled in the second week of November 2014.
- Chairman Emeritus Tata Sons Ratan Tata on 14 November 2014 announced to invest in online furniture company Urban Ladder.
- Social networking website Facebook on 13 November 2014 launched personalised video creation tool, Say Thanks.
- Former Indian cricketer and captain of Indian team, Kapil Dev, on 12 November 2014 launched a social gamified collaboration platform called SloPho.
- Technology giant Yahoo Inc on 11 November 2014 acquired digital video advertising service BrightRoll for about 640 million US dollars.
- Cognizant Technology on 12 November 2014 acquired Odecee in Australia. The company provides digital solutions to enterprises in Australia and New Zealand.
- The taxi-hailing smartphone app Uber on 12 November 2014 announced to launch a mobile wallet in India.
- Pizza Hut announced to change their brand and unveil a new logo. It announced the decision on 12 November 2014.
- Toyota Motor Corp on 12 November 2014 announced to recall around 361800 vehicles world-wide. These include Hiace vans from Japan, Camry sedan from Japan and Europe and Crown Majesta from Japan.
- China’s online retail giant, Alibaba on 11 November 2014 made the record of earning 9.3 billion US dollars in sales on a single day. Alibaba achieved the staggering figure on Singles Day shopping event which celebrates the bachelorhood of Young single Chinese.
- E-commerce giant Amazon on 11 November 2014 proposed a plan to Union Government to allow it to use new technologies such as real-time tracking and monitoring devices on the India Post network to develop a delivery mechanism based on smart logistics.
- The largest online retailer of India Flipkart on 12 November 2014 appointed two new members Rishi Vasudev and P Balakrishnan as Vice President.
- Times Internet Ltd acquired Cricbuzz com on 11 November 2014. Cricbuzz.com is a leading cricket news and information destination on web and mobile.
- Baiji in Iraq was in news because Iraqi authorities on 14 November 2014 claimed that Government forces have recaptured the strategic northern town of Baiji from Islamic State for Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militants. The force has also lifted siege of the oil refinery.
- European Space Agency’s (ESA) Rosetta mission landed its Philae probe on the surface of Comet 67P/ Churyumov–Gerasimenko on 12 November 2014. The landing site has been named as Agilkia and is located on the head of the bizarre double-lobed object.
- World Pneumonia Day was observed across world on 12 November 2014 with theme: Universal access to pneumonia prevention and care. The day was observed to create awareness about pneumonia.
- World Health Organisation (WHO) on 12 November 2014 released Guidelines for Indoor Air Quality: Household Fuel Combustion. These guidelines are the first-ever guidelines released by WHO highlighting the threat of burning fossil fuels in home.
- 22nd Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit was held in Beijing, China on 9 November 2014- 11 November 2014. The summit was held under the theme of Shaping the Future through Asia-Pacific Partnership.
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) in partnership with the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) hosted the India Economic Summit in New Delhi from 4 November 2014 to 6 November 2014.
- Prasar Bharti announced to re-launch DD National with new tagline Doordarshan National – Desh Ka Apna Channel. Also, new colours of purple and pink are added with a fresh palette of programming.
- Surface-to-surface nuclear-capable Dhanush ballistic missile was test-fired from a naval ship off the Odisha coast on 14 November 2014.
- Radio Kashmir Jammu on 12 November 2014 won prestigious Gandhian Philosophy and Public Service Broadcasting award 2014 for its programme Jeevan Rekha.
- Indian-American Aditi Hardikar was on 11 November 2014 appointed to a key White House position as liaison with the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) community as well as the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community.
- National Education Day (NED) was observed on 11 November 2014 to mark of the birth anniversary of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad. This NED was 125th birth anniversary of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad.
- Indian shuttlers Saina Nehwal and Kidambi Srikanth on 16 November 2014 clinched women’s and men’s singles title of the 700000 US dollar China Open Super Series Premier of Badminton respectively, in Fuzhou, China.
- Supreme Court (SC) on 14 November 2014 disclosed the names of persons involved in the Indian Premier League (IPL) spot-fixing probe done by Mudgal Committee.
- The Indian cricketer Rohit Sharma on 13 November 2014 scored the highest ODI score ever of 264 runs. The score of 264 runs is also the second-highest List A score.
- Badminton World Federation (BWF) on 11 November 2014 provisionally suspended Malaysian badminton player and World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei due to an apparent anti-doping regulation violation.
- Salgaocar FC won Durand Cup on 8 November 2014 and emerged as Durand Cup champion for the third time. It defeated Pune FC by 1-0.
- Indian Hockey team on 9 November 2014 won four match Men's Hockey Test series against Australia by 3-1.