- Exports from India increased 2.73 percent in September 2014 to 28.90 billion US dollar from 28.13 billion US dollar in September 2013. This was revealed by Foreign Trade (Merchandise) data released by the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry on 14 October 2014.
- Union Finance Ministry on 14 October 2014 approved 25 FDI proposals with total investment of 1546 crore rupees.
- The Reserve Bank of India on 16 October 2014 signed a pact with the Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) for Supervisory Cooperation and Exchange of Supervisory Information.
- Dr. Raghuram Rajan, Governor of Reserve Bank of India on 10 October 2014 was conferred with Euromoney’s Central Bank Governor of the Year Award 2014 in Washington.
- Britain’s Treason Act of 1351 passed during the reign of English King Edward III was in news in October 2014. It was in news as there are chances that Britain would use the medieval law to charge its citizens if they go to fight with Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) insurgents in Iraq and Syria.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) on 16 October 2014 approved appointment of Rajiv Mehrishi as the Union Finance Secretary in Department of Economic Affairs of the Union Ministry of Finance.
- An eminent Indian scientist Dr Sanjaya Rajaram on 16 October 2014 received the World Food Prize 2014 for his scientific research that led to a prodigious increase in world wheat production by more than 200 million tons building upon the successes of the Green Revolution.
- The Union Urban Development Ministry on 17 October 2014 appointed PSN Rao as the new Chairman of the Delhi Urban Art Commission (DUAC). Rao succeeds eminent architect Raj Rewal, who was appointed as Chairman of the commission in July 2011 for three years.
- World Food Day was observed across the world on 16 October 2014 with the theme Family Farming: Feeding the world, caring for the earth.
- Gautham Roy on 14 October 2014 was appointed as the new Managing Director (MD) of Chennai Petroleum Corporation Ltd (CPCL).
- E-commerce firm Flipkart on 18 October 2014 signed real estate lease deal with Embassy Office Parks, the joint venture between Embassy Group and Blackstone.
- India's low-cost carrier IndiGo on 15 October 2014 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to buy 250 A320neo Family aircraft worth 25.5 billion US dollars from Airbus Group. This agreement is Airbus single largest order by number of aircraft.
- Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) on 14 October 2014 announced that it will invest 4 billion US dollar in the British Columbia province, Canada, to source liquefied natural gas (LNG) from the region.
- Kotak Mahindra Bank (KMB) on 14 October 2014 launched Facebook-based funds transfer platform KayPay.
- London-based firm IMImobile Ltd on 14 October 2014 acquired mobile communications company TxtLocal Ltd (TextLocal) for 11 million euro in a cash and equity deal.
- Tata Value homes on 13 October 2014 launched www.tatavaluehomes.com to sell homes online.
- Cairo International conference on 12 October 2014 was held to raise the fund for reconstruction of Gaza Strip. At the conference, International donors pledged 5.4 billion US dollar for reconstruction of Gaza Strip of Palestine over three years.
- Indian-origin Singaporean poet and writer KTM Iqbal on 15 October 2014 was named for the 2014 Cultural Medallion, the highest cultural award of Singapore. He will be awarded by the Tony Tan, the President of Singapore.
- The Narrow Road to the Deep North is a novel of Australian author Richard Flanagan. The book was in news after it won the 2014 Man Booker Prize.
- Union Government on 16 October 2014 appointed US-based economist Arvind Subramanian as Chief Economic Advisor (CEA) in the Union Finance Ministry. He has been appointed as the CEA for a period of three years on contract basis.
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) Chairman K Radhakrishnan on 16 October 2014 announced that the Indian space agency will launch GSLV Mark-III within next 45 days. This launch of ISRO is one of the most awaited launches of 2014.
- Sadiq, a 10-year old terminally ill boy became Hyderabad Police Commissioner for a day. His long cherished dream to serve as Police Commissioner was fulfilled by Hyderabad Police Commissioner Mahender Reddy on 15 October 2014. His last wish was fulfilled by the help of an NGO, Make a Wish Foundation that decided to fulfill Sadiq’s dream on humanitarian ground.
- A book titled Final Test: Exit Sachin Tendulkar authored by writer-journalist Dilip D’Souza was released on 15 October 2014. The book has been published by Random House India and books forward has been written by Harsha Bhogle.
- 1. India on 19 October 2014 successfully defended its Sultan of Johor Cup (SOJC) Under-21 Hockey title at Taman Daya Hockey Stadium, Johor Bohru, Malaysia. In the finals, Indian team defeated Great Britain, 2-1.
- 2. The International Cricket Council (ICC) on 10 October 2014 awarded the global broadcast agreement rights for ICC Events from 2015 to 2023 to Star India and Star Middle East.
- 3. Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment on 13 October 2014 announced that a multi-sport Paralympic Games will be held in India in February 2015.
- 4. Olympic bronze medalist MC Mary Kom on 13 October 2014 was chosen as the Most Valuable Player (MVP) of India’s Incheon Asian Games campaign at a felicitation of the medal winners by contingent sponsors, Samsung India.
- 5. Indian shuttler, Ajay Jayaram won the 50000 dollar Dutch Open Grand Prix badminton tournament on 12 October 2014. In the title clash played at the Topsportcentrum Almere in Netherlands, Jayaram defeated Indonesia’s Ihsan Maulana Mustofa 10-11, 11-6, 11-7, 1-11, 11-9.