When a fresh candidate is recruited in the bank, he or she does not know anything about the organisation. The organisation has to take care of the newly recruited officer in order to convert him or her to a human resource for the bank. The Banking sector is one of the best sectors in this regard because it imparts excellent training to its officers throughout their careers so that they can become invaluable assets for the bank in the course of their service tenure in the bank.
Training and Development: How does it happen?
So, how does it happen actually for bankers? There is no course on banking in any university in the country and the minimum qualification required for IBPS PO or SBI PO is always a simple graduate in any stream from a recognised university. That means, the training is the most important tool for an individual to understand the nuances of banking and finance
- Induction Training: This is the first ever training imparted to a candidate after being recruited in the bank. This gives a first-hand idea to the candidate regarding the structure of the organisation, the basic activities of the organisation and the way things get along with the institution.
- In-service Training: In-service Training is imparted to the officers throughout their careers in the bank. It covers the contemporary developments in the banking arena along with practical training in those things so that these officers can go back and implement the same in the daily duties of the bank.
- Specialised Training: This kind of training goes on regular basis in the banks. Most of the banks leave the choice to the officers to choose their areas of interest and impart training in that particular area to the interested candidates.
- Refresher Training: It is a kind of training where the HR department decides to bring together officers from various offices across the country so that they can share ideas among themselves and catch up with old batch mates and friends. It gives the chance to refresh one’s mind and go back to work.
- Training on Deputation: In this kind of training, organisations such as World Bank, Asian Development Bank. IMF, RBI, Income Tax, Enforcement Directorate, Central Bureau of Investigation, etc. organises training programs and officers from various banks are selected for the same. It gives a broader perspective to the officers and helps them to discharge their daily duties more effectively and efficiently.
Bank officers are given ample opportunities to express their choices regarding the areas they are interested to work as type of work profile varies with the departments. They get a chance to serve in different departments such as credit, operations and services, recovery, IT, Forex etc. It develops the skill of an officer and through repeated and regular training; an individual becomes versatile in wide range of banking areas.
The training of the bank officers is unique every time as it is changes as per prevailing needs, business requirement etc. The trainers have to make sure that the officers are acquainted with the latest developments in the banking and finance sector. This is what the training is for, developing and shaping the skill of an individual in a way the bank needs.