If you have recently started your preparation do not panic, a good start is half done! You just need to put little extra efforts than those who started early. To make your CAT attempt significant, it is important to strategize, take mock CATs and manage your time well.
- Sharpen your strengths than to try and overcome weaknesses.
- Keep the syllabus in front of you and tick-off topics you are confident to track of what you know/don’t know.
- Make a practice schedule and stick to that, it is just 60 days discipline.
Last 60 days Strategy
10 days QA
- Brush up your basic concepts of math taught till Class 10. For this study materials provided by various coaching institutes is helpful, as it is according to the syllabus of CAT and is concise.
- Prepare Vedic math properly.
- Solving 100s of problems is not a good idea rather try to understand the concepts well.
10 days for Data Interpretation
- Solve last five years' papers and analyze the problems and their answers.
- Vedic math helps you get quick answers.
- Keep in mind that in CAT you have to choose from options, it does not require accurate answers. So reaching the closest answer is sufficient.
- Mark the correct option and move to the next question. Do not waste time in unnecessary calculation.
5 days for Logical Reasoning
- A calm mind will be more helpful here than an intense practice.
- Mostly stereotyped questions appear and take help from material provided by some good coaching institutes.
- Solving puzzles improves skills for this section.
- To know the conditions you have not used spot the conditions you have already used. Following this not only saves time but also ensure that none of the condition is missed out.
5 Days of Verbal Ability
- More you read the more you get is mantra for this section.
- Brush up your grammar but don’t waste much time in revision.
- Develop technique from previous years’ paper to identify the type of questions that can be there.
This section hardly shows surprises, and a methodical homework of all the types of problems can shield troubles.
10 Days of Reading comprehension
- The toughest section with prose or poems this section often gives surprises.
- Read newspapers everyday starting from today. Read whatever articles are present on politics, business, philosophy, way of life, the editorials, etc.
- Go through the articles present on online website meant for CAT.
- Group study is also helpful. Read articles from newspaper, and then recapitulate from recollection to your friends. Ask questions from each other.
- Practice as much as you can. Take practice sessions under a fixed time limit. Everyday decrease the time limit by a minute.
40 days are gone! So you still have 20 days left
For another 10 days take one mock test per day. Simulate the actual CAT atmosphere while taking these tests (i.e. take computer-based tests in one go and in a classroom-like area). This would:
oIncrease your test-taking speed.
oCondition you to take computer-based tests.
oHelp in overcoming panic.
oGives a clear picture of the topics you are weak in.
In the next 7 days, try to analyze your weak areas and work upon your mistakes.
Keep last 3 days to rest and relax. Watch light TV shows, listen music. Stop thinking about the exam and sleep well.
Keep only 1-2 hours for revision.
Best of Luck!