Let us know what are Antonyms?
This is very commonly known information that Antonyms are the words which mean opposite of the given word. It can also be termed as having incompatible binary relationship with the word in question. The other word is termed as an antonym. For example, Opposite & Antonym of Precede is Follow.
Types of Antonyms:
- Gradable Antonyms: Both the words lie in a continuous spectrum. For Example – Hot & Cold
- Complementary Antonyms: Both the words do not lie in a continuous spectrum. For Example – Push & Pull
- Relational Antonyms: These are the kind of opposites where they make sense only when they are read together. For Example: Teacher & Pupil
Let us now know some methods to do well here. Sometimes antonyms are directly asked in the examination and sometimes they are based on the paragraph so we will cover both.
- If you do not know the exact meaning of the word. Try and understand it in the context of the paragraph.
- Sometimes, if the meaning of the word is not clear, then reading all the options in the answer is a good idea. You can go through all the other options and start negating them one by one.
- If the word sounds more like a tongue twister to you, try and break it into meaningful parts. Chances are that the full word will start making more sense to you.
- A very effective way of knowing and fairing well in this section is regularly reading antonyms and making your own list. Revise the list regularly so that you remember the words more often.
The most reliable report about the progress of Open Admissions became available at the end of August, 1974. What the document showed was that the dropout rate for all freshmen admitted in September, 1970, after seven semesters, was about 48 percent, a figure that corresponds closely to national averages at similar colleges and universities. The discrepancy between the performance of ''regular'' students (those who would have been admitted into the four year colleges with 80% high school average and into the two year units with 75%) and Open Admissions freshmen provides a better indication of how the program worked. Taken together the attrition rate (from known and unknown causes) was 48 percent, but the figure for regular students was 36 percent while for Open Admissions categories it was 56 percent.
Question: What is the antonym of the highlighted word.
Answer: Correct answer is 2 as all the other 3 words have the same meaning as the main word. Only 2nd word viz. misinformation has an opposite meaning.