SBI PO Mains Exam is round the corner and all of you must be giving the finishing touches to your preparation these days. The mains exam consists of both objective paper and a descriptive English paper which will be conducted just after the objective examination. In descriptive examination, you will have to write an essay of around 500 words in one of the given topics. The marks allotted for this is usually 20 marks. In this paper, you are supposed to qualify only as the marks will not be added to prepare the final merit list.
Essay Writing: Some Useful Tips
Though marks are not added to the final merit list, your fate in the exam depends very much on the score you fetch in the descriptive exam. Essay section is very important, hence, to see you through to the final selection list. Now, let us discuss some very easy yet effective tips to score more in the essay section of these exams:
- Choose your topic wisely: You will be given a number of choices in the exam. You are supposed to choose a topic on which you can write from different points of view since you are expected to write your own opinion as well in the essay.
- Brainstorm points: This is the next step once you are done with choosing the topic. You jot down the points in your mind regarding what you are going to write in the essay. If you get time, write them down in the rough sheet given to you and follow them by heart while writing the essay.
- Be precise and to the point: While discussing any point in you essay, you are supposed to be to the point in presenting your point to the reader. Use language that represents your thoughts without the need to write more and more.
- Maintain Paragraphs: This will help you keeping track of the points that you have already covered in your essay. Try to cover one point in one paragraph and move on to the next.
- Maintain the flow of the essay: When you are moving on from one point to the other in the paragraph, you are supposed to maintain the flow of the essay. Do not jump from one point to the other without giving a link between the two.
- Correct English is necessary: You may not know a lot of words, try to use your resources wisely as correct English is more important than fancy English. Be accurate in your usage of language rather than using difficult words in your essay. Furthermore, use words that are right for the context in which you are using it.
- Try to stick to the given word limit: You should always keep in mind the word limit given in the question. Do not overshoot the limit too much since you are supposed to write the essay within that word limit. So, keep your arguments limited to the word limit and try to finish it within that limit as well.
- Conclude the essay properly: A good essay should have a good conclusion always. In that, you are supposed to write your opinion regarding the topic or should strike a conciliatory note regarding the arguments presented in the essay.
Essays in SBI PO Mains: Some Important Topics
There are certain topics that you can cover as your preparation in SBI PO Mains exam that is scheduled on 31st July 2016:
- A Unified Financial Sector Regulator: is the model feasible in India?
- Concept of Differentiated Banks in India: Is it the future of Indian banking?
- Microfinance is the way forward for Financial Inclusion: Do you agree?
- Social Media: It is more misused than used in India
- Inflation and Policy Rates in India
- Freedom of Speech cannot be Absolute for the sake of Democracy
- Priority Sector Lending: A Boon for Indian Agriculture
- E-commerce Boom is a boon for Digital India Programme
- Startup India, Standup India: India’s Chance to be the Global Superpower
- Bank Board Bureau will pave way for Professionalization of Banking in India
Essay writing is very important for your success and failure in SBI PO examination. So, fasten your seat belts and practice as much as you can before you are going to face the actual test one week from now. In order to understand the logical flow of an essay, go through some sample topics as well as read the editorials of some good newspapers. You are supposed to form an opinion on the given topic and write in your own language the same. Give data and information but along with that, present your ideas as well as that is expected from you also.
All the best!!