India this week helps student to understand the happenings in and around the country. For a better grasp of current affairs happening in India for the week refer to this category in Jagran Josh.com.
7 January 2013
• Former South Africa fast bowler, Neil Adcock died at the age of 81 in Howick, KwaZulu-Natal province of South Africa.
• The three-day 11th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) kicked off in Kochi.
• Indian Institute of Astrophysics has decided to develop the world’s largest solar telescope at Ladakh and work on it would commence by end of the year 2013.
8 January 2013
• Justice D.K. Jain has been appointed as the Chairman of the 20th Law Commission of India by the Union Government of India.
• The Arjun Munda Ministry in Jharkhand resigned and recommended dissolution of the two-year-old Assembly to the governor in Ranchi.
• Chief Minister of Gujarat Narendra Modi inaugurated the biennial(held every second year) Vibrant Gujarat Global Investors meet.
• Air Marshal Kulwant Singh Gill took over the oath as the new commandant of National Defence Academy.
9 January 2013
• India successfully test-fired a highly manoeuvrable version of the 290-km range supersonic cruise missile BrahMos from a naval warship off the coast of Vishakhapatnam in Bay of Bengal.
• Rajiv Takru , the Senior IAS officer on promoted and appointed as Secretary of Financial Services in the Finance Ministry.
• Brij Bihari Lal Butail was unanimously elected as the new speaker of Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly.
• Renault Duster was awarded the Car of the Year Award 2013 by the automotive magazine Autocar India in Mumbai.
• Malala Yousafzai, the schoolgirl from Pakistan shot by Taliban received France's Simone de Beauvoir Prize for Women's Freedom in Paris.
10 January 2013
• The Supreme Court dismissed Sahara group's petition for review of its verdict directing its two firms Sahara India Real Estate Corporation (SIREC) and Sahara Housing Investment Corporation (SHIC) to refund around 24000 crore rupees
• PR Fonroche an Indian and French Partnership firm inaugurated first Solar Plant under National Solar Mission Batch II in January 2013.
11 January 2013
• Commemorative Postage Stamp on Silk Letter Movement was released by Pranab Muherjee, the President of India.
• Aaron Awartz, co-founder of Reditt committed suicide. He was facing federal criminal charges in cases of fraud and hacking allegations.
12 January 2013
• 19th Colors Screen Awards 2013 was announced ,Paan Singh Tomar was selected as the Best Film and Ranbir and Irfan Khan came up as Best Actor
• The oldest surviving woman of the world, Koto Okubo died at the age of 115 years in a town near Tokyo.
13 January 2013
• Rusi Framroze Surti, the former cricketer and all-rounder of India from Surat died in Mumbai. Surti was aged 76 years.
• International Paralympic Committee (IPC) decided to launch the international grand prix circuit especially for the elite athletes who are disabled.
Preparing Current Affairs for Competitive Exams now made easy by our Jagran Josh Current Affairs Section. .