The biggest hurdle that MBA aspirants face when applying for different management entrances or courses is the eligibility criteria. Candidates often tend to ignore reading the eligibility criteria for an MBA entrance. This, however, is highly advised against. In case, a candidate does not satisfy the eligibility criteria set forth by the exam conducting body they will either be barred from appearing for the exam or their final score will not be considered for admission in the concerned institute.
Eligibility Criteria is the first step in the process of deciding whether the candidate can appear for an exam or not! Basically, in other words, we may say that it is the stepping stone to realise your dreams. Top B-schools not only takes into consideration the performance in the entrance exam but also scrutinize previous academic qualifications. Accordingly proportionate weightage is allotted to the performance in 10th, 12th and graduation as well. So, it's essential that candidates go through the eligibility criteria provided by the exam conducting body.
List of Top MBA Exams
Which are the entrance exams for MBA?
In order to be shortlisted for admission to management programmes offered at top B-Schools, candidates are expected to appear for an MBA entrance exam. Candidate’s score in these MBA entrance exams is considered to be the shortlisting criteria for admission by different institutes. Top MBA entrance tests which you should consider are given below:
Also Read: Is MBA required after B.Tech?
- CAT: CAT is considered to be the cornerstone of MBA entrance exams and is considered by top-tier IIMs and over 200 B-schools across India for MBA admissions.
- XAT: Xavier Admission Test is the second most popular MBA entrance exam in India. XAT is a national level exam conducted by Xavier Association of Management Institutes (XAMI) for admission to management institutes under its domain. XAT score is considered by over 100+ B-Schools for MBA admissions.
- SNAP: Symbiosis National Aptitude Test is a national level management entrance exam for admission to MBA programme offered by Symbiosis International University and its associated institutes. The score is considered by other top institutes for admission as well.
- MH-CET: Maharashtra Common Entrance Test is a state level management entrance exam for admission to MBA colleges in Maharashtra.
- CMAT: Common Management Admission Test is an all-India level management test for admission in all management programs offered by AICTE approved institutes.
- IBSAT: IBSAT is a common admission test for admissions MBA/PGDM programmes offered at different campuses of ICFAI Business School (IBS) located at Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Gurgaon, Hyderabad, Dehradun, Jaipur, Kolkata, Mumbai and Pune.
- NMAT: NMIMS Management Aptitude Test is an admission test for full-time MBA programmes offered at NMIMS Mumbai and the PGDM courses of NMIMS Hyderabad and Bangalore.
Educational Background for MBA
Am I eligible to join an MBA course after two-year ITI & Diploma degree?
Yes, you are eligible to join an MBA course as per the qualifications mentioned by you. For candidates like you, the two-year ITI programme (generally completed by after Class 10) will be considered equal to Class 12 examinations and the three-year diploma programme will be considered equivalent to graduation degree. However, there are certain conditions that you should satisfy in order to be eligible for MBA admissions.
- Both Diploma & ITI programmes should be completed from a recognized board/institute/university
- The courses should be completed in regular education mode i.e., Open Schools or Distance Education programmes are not eligible
- You must have scored minimum 50% marks in both courses from a reputed institute
What is the scope of MBA after B.Tech.?
MBA has emerged as a favoured choice among young technology professionals who have graduated with a B.Tech degree. This is because pursuing MBA degree offers several advantages over the technical degree; the main among them being career progression.
- MBA after B.Tech degree improves your career prospects. MBA degree helps you to get a job in a multitude of companies at a management level irrespective of the technical need
- You can rise among the ranks relatively quickly within the organization
- Most businesses today are technology dominated, through technical knowledge and understanding of management principles puts you at an advantage over others
MBA students are presented with a plethora of specialization options, which engineering students can opt for depending upon their interests and aspirations. You may also find some MBA specializations in the technical domain.
Eligibility for MBA specializations
What is the admission procedure to study MBA in Hospital Management for a Male Nurse?
Different management institutes follow different admission procedures for their MBA programmes. However, the general admission procedure involves an MBA entrance test like CAT, XAT or CMAT; on the basis of which you will be shortlisted for GD/PI and WAT rounds. Some institutes are also known to conduct their own entrance tests. The second stage involves Group Discussion, Personal Interview and WAT rounds, in which personality and academic records of the students are checked. On the basis of your performance in these two stages, you will be selected for MBA in Hospitality Management programme.
Some private institutes also offer direct admissions to students for their management programmes, please check with the respective institute for exact admission procedure.
What is the eligibility norm for a diploma in HR management course?
The two-year full-time MBA programmes are designed in such a way that, the first year is dedicated to a general understanding of management principles while the second year focuses upon the specialization-specific study. Therefore, the general eligibility norms apply for MBA HR programmes as well.
The general academic requirement for MBA programmes is of graduation with minimum 50% marks. You should also appear for MBA entrance exams like CAT, XAT and CMAT to be considered for admission to management programmes; check with your respective institute and opt for the test accordingly.
Do numbers matter for MBA?
Am I eligible to appear for CAT with 49.6% marks in Honours?
The general eligibility criteria to appear for CAT is graduation with minimum 50% marks or equivalent CGPA for general category students and 45% marks or equivalent CGPA for reserved category students. If you are from general category, you cannot appear for CAT.
Personality Trait Eligibility
What are the necessary characteristics to Pursue MBA programme?
While none of the MBA colleges have any personality traits listed as part of its eligibility criteria, it is an established norm that personal characteristics play a vital part in getting admission to a good institute. You should try and develop the following traits to aid your academic as well as the professional career in management
- Leadership: Being a business manager requires you to be a leader and, therefore, it is important for you to develop credible leadership skills that will enable you to guide your team towards the organizational goals.
- Commitment: The path to a rewarding management career lies in committing yourself to the domain. Without committing yourself completely to the preparation process and management as your prime career focus, you will not be able to succeed.
- Creativity: Management students and business professionals are presented with a host of innovative problems. To solve these, you will have to develop a creative mindset and out of the box thinking.
- Communication Skills: It is often said that good management is all about great communication. Therefore, you should try and develop excellent communication skills in both verbal as well as written forms.
- Decision Making: Management domain is all about making tough decisions that help you achieve your goals. Therefore, a good MBA student should develop a strong and decisive sense of judgement and be able to make smart decisions quickly to diffuse problems before they escalate beyond control
- Discipline: MBA is a vast domain and offers several distractions. Therefore, you will have to develop self-disciplinary behaviour that will help keep you on track of success.
- Intellectual Ability: Being a business leader requires you to know and understand different aspects. Therefore, it is important to develop the intellectual ability.
To get more queries resolved related to MBA Course, subscribe with us and you can also post your queries in the comments section provided below.