In this article, we have covered all important facts about engineering job in government job by SSC JE and IES entry. As the order of the day, Most of the candidates choose to do Engineering for attaining their graduation degree. After finishing engineering degree, it is very cumbersome to gain a job in the respective field and candidates from Mechanical/Civil/Electrical stream encounter this problem. In private sector, Job openings and offered salary is very low and work environment is rigorous whereas, government sector offers job security, high salary & perks and high prestige in society. Let’s check out some important things about SSC-JE and IES officer job.
SSC- Junior Engineering and Indian Engineering Services- Brief
SSC JE is the exam to recruit the diploma holders. Therefore, the toughness of inquired questions is very low as compared to the engineering point of view. A graduate candidate has a good conceptual understanding of his subjects. This post directly comes under the Engineers i.e. he is supposed to assist him in all important plans. Now, we would look upon the exam pattern of SSC JE and IES in brief.
The SSC JE exam conducted in two phases: -
- Paper-I: - This objective type paper has 200 questions in total having 100 technical and other 100 questions from Reasoning & General awareness. After qualifying in paper-I, you are called for Paper-II.
- Paper-II: - This paper has 7 questions out of which you are asked to solve any 5 questions. Each question carries 60 marks of weightage and further distribution of marks in sub-questions is under discretion.
Now, Let us look at IES Exam. IES is a top level exam conducted for recruiting B.tech Engineers. Hence, It is obvious that the difficulty level will be much higher than SSC JE. Now, let’s check out the exam pattern of IES examination. Till 2016, IES exam is conducted in two stages.
Stage 1:- The written examination accomplishes in 3 days.
- Day 1: - Objective type General Awareness.
- Day 2: - there are two shifts: Morning & Evening Shift. Both shifts have Objective technical paper.
- Day 3: - It has also descriptive technical paper in two shifts: Morning & Evening.
Each paper involved in the above process has 200 as maximum marks and candidate has to qualify all the papers for appearing in interview process.
Stage 2: - In this stage, Interview is conducted having weightage of 200 marks. UPSC has introduced new interview pattern for inquiring the candidates from this year and onwards.
Difference between SSC JE and IES officer: -
- SSC recruits Grade-B junior engineers lower than the entry level post of IES officer and the designation of such JE is Assistant Executive Engineer.
- SSC JEs are paid under the pay scale of Rs. 9300-20200 with a grade pay of Rs. 4200 whereas, IES officers are paid under Rs. 15600-39100 with a grade pay of Rs. 5400.
- SSC JE has less opportunity of getting promoted as compare to the IES Officer.
- JE are recruited for the executions of the policies made by IES officer whereas IES heads the engineering divisions in future & forms decision making authority in the central government engineering divisions.
(Also read: Comparison Between SSC CGL and IT Jobs)
Each year approximately around 400 IES officers are recruited whereas around 2500 junior engineers are recruited.
Best of Luck!!!