Q. I am very weak in memorizing the maths formulas. Please suggest some tips on how to learn Maths and Physics formulas and retain them in brain.
Ans. You spend the long nights to learn the tough, long mathematical formulas, but the very next day when you try to recall them, you find as if everything has been cleared out of the brain. Actually, this happens with every other student. So, you don’t need to be anxious about it. What all you need is to follow a few strategies to memorise all the Maths and Physics folmulas with an ease.
After having conversed and discussed about the above said problem with veteran educationalists and some board exam toppers, we have come up to have a collection of a few tips that will be helpful to grasp and preserve the various Mathematical or Physics formulas in the brain.
Below are given top tips to easily learn various Maths and Physics formulas:
1. Practice concentration: Maths and Physics terms and formulas require intense focus and deep concentration to get absorbed into the mind. So you need to work on your concentration level to get all complicated or lengthy formulas stick to your mind.
2. Relax your brain: Maths and Physics problems can never be learned under stress as a stressed brain loses its work potential and finds it difficult to work on complex things. So you need to first relax your mind. By doing this, you will be able to focus more on your task.
3. Practice as much as you can: This may sound like an obvious point, but the more you practice using the formulas you need to know, the more likely you are to remember the same. List down all important formulas on a sheet and whenever you are free, glance at them once. After all, repetition leads to memorization.
4. Minimize your reference checks: Many students think that once they take a glance at a formula, it is in their mind, but the next morning when they try to recall the same, they are shocked to realize that the formula leaked out during the night. To avoid such situation, try to practice solving a problem with the formula without looking it up.
5. Understand the basic concept of the formula: Try to clear your basic concepts before moving ahead with the formulas. This will help you understand the sense of the formula.
For example: In the formula, a = F / m, where acceleration (a) is expressed in terms of Force (F) and mass (m), F is on the top of the fraction. This makes sense, since if you exert more force on an object, it will speed up more quickly. Whereas, mass is on the bottom of the fraction, which means the speed of the object will decrease, since more mass means more inertia thus making the object more difficult to accelerate.
6. Keep away with all distractions: Not only the gadgets you use need to be talked under this heading, but your physical desires like hunger, thirst, drowsiness, etc., also need to be kept away.
7. Learn the derivation of every formula. Derivation of a formula will help you familiarise with the roots and concepts of that formula which can help you retain the same for long time in your brain. Moreover, when you derive a formula, you come across a number of other formulas. That way you can memorize just the bare minimum number of formulae that you need to derive the rest from.
8. Use memorising tricks: Try to create a story that involves everything you are trying to learn. The sequence of a story can help you to remember things in a particular order.
For example: To learn the trigonometric ratios; P/H = sin, B/H = cos, P/B = tan, you can use a phrase “pandit badri prasad har har bole sona chandi tole” and then set the words like:
Work out on more of such phrases that can help you recall the long-complicated formulas.
Thus all the tips and tricks given above if followed wisely, will definitely help you master Maths and Physics, getting you an awesome score in your board exams.
You may also like to read:
This is when a student should start preparing for engineering/medical entrance exams
CBSE class 12th Chemistry paper 2018: Don't miss these tips to prepare in last moments
UP Board class 12 Biology paper second exam 2018 : Last year paper, Sample paper and more
8 Psychological tips for students to learn effectively