Which Post is best through SSC CGL Group B
What is SSC CGL Exam?
Staff Selection Commission (SSC) conducts the popular Combined Graduate Level(CGL) Examination every year to recruit candidates in Group B (non-gazetted- both technical & non-technical) and Group C(non-technical) in various central government Ministries/ Departments, attached and subordinate offices of the Government of India.
Various Posts through SSC CGL
The posts are divided in two categories: Group B and Group C as SSC recruits in these two categories only through the CGL Exam. However, we shall discuss the Group B Posts only in this article
- Assistant in Central Secretariat Service: This is a post in the pay band of 9300-34800 with the grade pay being 4600. The job profile is basically of clerical nature as it will involve managing files and replying to RTIs as well as preparing answers for questions in the Parliament. The post has fast promotional aspects
- Assistant in CVC / IB / Railways: All these posts are classified in the Pay Band 3 of 9300-34800 with the grade pay being 4600. The jobs of assistants in these organizations are very much clerical in nature and are purely desk jobs. One has to reply to RTI Queries, manage files of the departments etc. Promotional Aspects are not that promising as of a CSS Assistant
- Assistant in MEA (General and Cypher): This is the most sought after post through SSC CGL simply for the charm of foreign postings as well as handsome salary package apart from the salary slip only. In case of General Assistants, generally, the posting is 3 years in India and 3 years in abroad whereas in case of Cypher Assistants, it is 3 years in India and 6 years abroad. It comes under the pay band of 9300-34800 with the grade pay being 4600.
- Assistant in Other Departments / Organizations: A clerical nature of job with fixed working hours and generally postings are in New Delhi itself. Promotional Aspects are decent provided one clears all the departmental exams in time. The pay band is same as the above posts with the pay band being 9300-34800 with the grade pay being 4600
- Inspector in Central Excise / Preventive Officer / Examiner / Assistant Enforcement Officer in Department of Revenue: All these posts are similar regarding the field nature of these jobs as the profile of the jobs include preventing illegal activities like smuggling, excise evasion etc. Promotional Aspects in all the posts depend on seniority in the zonal and regional levels of postings. Pay scale is the same as the above posts with the pay band being 9300-34800 and the grade pay being 4600
- Sub Inspector in CBI / NIA / Inspector in Central Bureau of Narcotics: These posts are again similar in nature as the name suggests because all are related to law enforcement in various fields. The post carries a pay band of 9300-34800 with the grade pay being 4200. The posts have minimum physical standards to be complied with along with physical tests being conducted before appointment and during training. Promotions are not very fast in these posts and working hours are not fixed all the time
- Inspector of Posts: This carries a pay band of 9300-34800 with the grade pay being 4200. Under the administrative control of Department of Posts, this job will require an individual to canvass deposits, life insurance for the department. Posting may be anywhere in India and there are reasonable chances of moving up to the higher cadres of the department based on seniority
- Statistical Investigator Grade II: It requires a candidate to have studied mathematics or statistics in either degree or higher secondary level. The job profile is normally compiling data, carrying out surveys regarding various topics, interpretation of data etc. The promotional aspects are decent