The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) on 23 November 2016 approved the setting up of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya (JNV) in 62 uncovered districts with an outlay of Rs 2871 crore.
The expenses for this purpose will be Rs 109.53 crore during the 12th Plan with the total outlay of Rs 2761.56 crore from the year 2017-18 to 2024-25.
It is expected that nearly 35000 students will be benefitted from these JNVs.
Highlights of the Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya (JNV)
• It will provide good quality modern education to the talented children notably from rural areas.
• A full-fledged JNV provides employment to 47 people and in view of that, 62 JNVs will provide direct permanent employment to 2914 individuals.
• JNVs are residential and co-educational in nature, thereby, all the staff and students will reside in the Vidyalaya campus.
• Due to its residential nature, JNVs will also generate opportunities for the local vendors for supply of food, consumables, furniture, teaching material, etc.
• It will also create large opportunity for local service providers such as barber, tailor cobbler, manpower for housekeeping and security services.
• Presently, there are 598 Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya in 576 districts spreading across all the States and Union Territories. Out of these, 591 are functional.
• Each JNV has classes from VI to XII standard with a sanctioned strength of 80 students per class and total strength of 560 students.
• Admissions to JNVs in class VI are done through an entrance examination.
• At least 75% of the seats in a district are filled by candidates from rural areas of the district.
• One third of the total seats in the JNVs are reserved for girls.
What: Approved by CCEA
When: 23 November 2016