Renowned Hindi writer Mamta Kalia was on 8 December 2017 selected for the Vyas Samman 2017 for her novel "Dukkham Sukkham" published in 2009.
She was chosen by a selection committee headed by Sahitya Akademi director and author Vishwanath Prasad Tiwari.
She will receive Rs 3.5 lakh as the prize money of Vyas Samman.
About Mamta Kalia
• Born in 1940 in Vrindavan, Kalia did MA in English from Delhi University before taking up lecturership at SNDT Women's University in Mumbai.
• She headed a degree college in Allahabad since 1973 and retired in 2001.
• She is known for her works in Hindi and English including "Beghar", "Janch Abhi Jaari Hai", "Nirmohi", and "Bolne Wali Aurat".
• She has been conferred with various awards for her work including Yashpal Katha Samman from Uttar Pradesh Hindi Sansthan, Sahitya Bhushan Samman and Ram Manohar Lohia Samman.
About Vyas Samman
• The award is given annually by KK Birla Foundation to a Hindi literary work published in the past 10 years.
• The first recipient of the award was eminent literary critic and poet Ram Vilas Sharma, who was awarded in 1991.
• In 2016, the award was conferred upon eminent Hindi writer and playwright Surendra Verma for his novel Kaatna Shami Ka Vriksha : Padma Pankhuri Ki Dhar Se, published in 2010.
Ruskin Bond conferred with Lifetime Achievement Award
Japanese Professor Hiroshi Marui conferred with 3rd ICCR Distinguished Indologist award
When: 8 December 2017