SAARC Monsoon Initiative Programme National Working Group meet was organised on 20 June 2014 in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. At the meet, it was discussed to take steps to link training and research programmes with meteorology related information between different stakeholders.
The monsoon initiative is the part of Thimpu Statement on Climate Change adopted at the 16th SAARC summit in Thimphu in 2010. As per the initiative a National Working Group on Monsoon will be set up at national level in each SAARC member country to monitor and address monsoon-induced disasters at the national level.
Thimpu Statement on Climate Change
Thimpu Statement on Climate Change was adopted on 28-29 April 2010 with following objectives
• Review the implementation of the Dhaka Declaration and SAARC Action Plan on Climate Change and ensure its timely implementation
• Agree to establish an Inter-governmental Expert Group on Climate Change to develop clear policy direction and guidance for regional cooperation as envisaged in the SAARC Plan of Action on Climate Change.
• Undertake advocacy and awareness programs on climate change, among others, to promote the use of green technology and best practices to promote low-carbon sustainable and inclusive development of the region.
• Commission a study to explore the feasibility of establishing a SAARC mechanism which would provide capital for projects that promote low-carbon technology and renewable energy; and a Low-carbon Research and Development Institute in South Asian University
• Plant ten million trees over the next five years (2010-2015) as part of a regional afforestation and reforestation campaign, in accordance with national priorities and programmes of Member States.
• Commission a SAARC Inter-governmental Marine Initiative to strengthen the understanding of shared oceans and water bodies in the region and the critical roles they play in sustainable living to be supported by the SAARC Coastal Zone Management Center.
• Commission a SAARC Inter-governmental Mountain Initiative on mountain ecosystems, particularly glaciers and their contribution to sustainable development and livelihoods to be supported by SAARC Forestry Center
• Commission a SAARC Inter-governmental Monsoon Initiative on the evolving pattern of monsoons to assess vulnerability due to climate change to be supported by SAARC Meteorological Research Center
• Commission a SAARC Inter-governmental Climate-related Disasters Initiative on the integration of Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) with Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) to be supported by SAARC Disaster Management Center
• The Inter-governmental Expert Group on Climate Change shall meet at least twice a year to periodically monitor and review the implementation of this Statement
When: 20 June 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.