TVS chairman Venu Srinivasan was made Honorary Citizen of Busan, Korea on 18 December 2014. He was conferred with the citizenship for his efforts to enhance friendship and cooperation between India and Republic of Korea.
He was conferred the title by Mayor of Busan Metropolitan City, Suh Byung-soo during the honorary citizenship ceremony held at Busan, the second largest city in Korea, after Seoul.
Srinivasan, who is also Honorary Consul General of the Republic of Korea in Chennai, is the first Indian industrialist to be granted honorary citizenship.
About Venu Srinivasan
• He is an Indian industrialist who is the Chairman and Managing Director of Sundaram Clayton Ltd and Chairman of TVS Motor Company, the third largest two wheeler manufacturer in India.
• For the year 2009-10, he served as the President of Confederation of Indian Industry.
• In 2010 he was conferred with Padma Shri by the President of India for his contributions in the field of trade and industry.
• In 2010, he was honoured by South Korean President Lee Myung-bak, with the distinguished civilian honour, Order of Diplomatic Service Merit, in recognition of his contribution in promoting bilateral relations between South Korea and India.
• Asian Network for Quality (ANQ) chose Venu Srinivasan as one of the winners of its prestigious Ishikawa-Kano Award for the year 2012 for his substantial contribution to the advancement of theories and practices of quality management within TVS Motor.
• He was appointed as the Honorary Commander of Korean Navel vessel, ROKS Choi Young (DDH-981). This is a rare honour for a civilian, and is given in appreciation for his/her dedication to enhance the friendship and Co-operation between the Republic of Korea and India.
When: 18 December 2014