Union Government constituted Task Force on Interlinking of Rivers
The task force chaired by BN Navalawala will take up all issues for expediting the work on interlinking of rivers in the Country. It would also consider alternative plans in place of infeasible links in the present plan.
Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation on 14 April 2015 constituted a Task Force on Interlinking of Rivers (ILR). It will look into the issues relating to Interlinking of Rivers in the country.
The task force will be chaired by ex-UPSC member and advisor to the Gujarat Chief Minister BN Navalawala and constitutes of experts and senior officials.
Function of the Task Force
• It will take up all issues for expediting the work on interlinking of rivers in the Country.
• Apart from examining the existing links that are laid out as per the National Perspective Plan under both Himalayan and Peninsular components, the task force would also consider alternative plans in place of infeasible links in the present plan.
• It would facilitate interlinking of intra-state and intra-basin Rivers also along with that of inter-state and inter-basin links.
• It would recommend the time schedules for completion of feasibility studies and DPR’s of all the links, implementation schedule of all the links and also suggest on various means of funding mechanisms for the Interlinking of Rivers.
• It would also provide guidance on norms of appraisal of individual projects in respect of economic viability, socio-economic, environmental impacts and preparation of resettlement plans.
• It would also device suitable mechanisms for bringing about speedy consensus amongst the states and will also propose suitable organizational structure for implementing the Interlinking of Rivers.
• It would also try to forge a consensus amongst the states in order to take forward the speedy implementation of the Interlinking of Rivers Program.
Other members of the Task Force are
• Sriram Vedire, Adviser in the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation,
• Prodipto Ghosh, Former Secretary, Ministry of Environment and Forests,
• AD Mohile, Former Chairman, Central Water Commission (CWC)
• M Gopalakrishnan, Former Member, Central Water Commission
• Virag Gupta, Advocate
Additional Secretary of the Ministry of Water Resources, Chairman, Central water Commission, Director General, National Water Development Agency and Joint Secretary (Finance), in the Ministry of Water Resources will be the other members of the Task Force.