All India Institute of Medical Science: Institute for Teaching, Research and Patient-Care
The All India Institutes of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) are a group of autonomous public medical colleges of higher education. These institutes have been declared by Act of Parliament as institutions of national importance. AIIMS, New Delhi, is the front runner parent excellence institution, was established in 1956. There are 7 AIIMS are operational and 7 more are proposed in the coming years.
Objectives of AIIMS
- To develop a pattern of teaching in undergraduate and postgraduate medical education in all its branches so as to demonstrate high standard of medical education to all medical colleges and other allied institutions in India.
- To bring together in one place educational facilities of the highest order for the training of the personnel in all important branches of the health activity.
- To attain self sufficiency in postgraduate in medical education.
Functions of AIIMS
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in medical and related physical biological sciences.
- Nursing and dental education
- Innovations in education.
- Producing medical teachers for the country.
- Research in medical and related sciences.
- Health care: preventive, promotional and curative; primary, secondary & tertiary.
- Community based teaching and research
Organizational Structure of AIIMS:
Speciality Centres at AIIMS
- Cardio-Thoracic Sciences Centre
- Centre for Dental Education and Research
- Neurosciences Centre
- Dr. R.P Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences
- Dr. B.R.A Institute-Rotary Cancer Hospital
- National Drug Dependence Treatment Center
- Jai Prakash Narayan Apex Trauma Center
- B.B. Dikshit Library
- Cadaver Training and Research Facility
- Central Animal Facility
- Computer Facility
- Central Workshop
- EHS (Dept. of Family Medicine)
- Electron Microscope Facility
- K.L. Wig CMET
- Medical Social & Welfare Services
- National Poisons Information Centre
- Organ Retrieval Banking Organisation
- Patent Cell
- Stem Cell Facility
- Telemedicine Facility
- Transport Facility
- Medical Social Welfare Unit (Main Hospital )
- Engineering Services
Explanation of Central Facilities:
Electron Microscope Facility:
The Electron Microscope (EM) laboratory was established in the year 1971 in the Department of Anatomy of All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS). Recognizing the significant contribution of the laboratory and the need for the ultrastructural investigations by the scientific researchers in the vicinity, the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India established a Regional Electron Microscope facility in 1983 at AIIMS under its RSIC/SIF program. This center is presently known as Sophisticated Analytical Instrument Facility (SAIF).
A Patent Cell has been set up to facilitate the processing and filing of patents by inventors working at AIIMS.
Inventors who wish to patent their invention are required to furnish details in the Invention Disclosure Format which can be downloaded from the AIIMS website (www.aiims.ac.in).
The applications will be assessed for feasibility by a committee comprising of members of the patent cell and experts, before the inventors can meet with the patent attorney* for filing of the patent.
Ten copies of the application in the prescribed format should be submitted to Mr. E. Lakra, Member-Secretary, Patent Cell.
Note: Before sending a request for patenting, the inventors must make sure that the invention fulfils the following three criteria for patent ability:
- Inventive step
- Use or application
Stem Cell Facility:
Stem Cell Facility was initiated in 2005 with an aim to initiate research in the field of Stem Cell Biology at Basic, Pre-clinical and Clinical levels at AIIMS It is supported by DBT as Center of Excellence for Stem Cell Research and has been recently upgraded to a unit with current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP). This cGMP unit was inaugurated by honorable ex- Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan on 21st August, 2014.
Telemedicine is an emerging field in healthcare arising out of the synergistic convergence of Information Technology with Medical Science having enormous potential in meeting the challenges of healthcare delivery to rural and remote areas .It may be as simple as two health professionals discussing medical problems of a patient and seeking advice over a simple telephone to as complex as transmission of electronic medical records of clinical information, diagnostic tests such as E.C.G., radiological images etc. and carrying out real time interactive medical video conference with the help of IT based hardware and software, video-conference using broadband Tele communication.
- Courses Offered
- General Surgery
- Interventional GI endoscopic
- Digestive and Colorectal
- Emergency Medicine
- Plastic & Reconstructive Microsurgery
Location of AIIMS in India:
Image courtesy: www.mapsofindia.com