7 Interesting Facts about Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman
Abhinandan Varthaman is a wing-commander in the Indian Air Force. As we know that India-Pakistan in 2019 was engaged in military confrontation (Balakot air strike) and Abhinandan was held captive for about 60 hours in Pakistan after his aircraft was shot down. And now, safely he came back to India his motherland.
Interesting facts about Abhinandan Varthaman
- Abhinandan was born on 21 June, 1983. His family belongs from Thirupanamoor village which is 19 km from Kanchipuram. His father Simhakutty Varthaman is a retired Air Marshal and his mother is a doctor.
- Do you know that Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman's father, ret. Air marshall S Varthaman was a consultant for the film Kaatru Veliyidai. It is Mani Ratnam film starring Karthi and Aditi.
- He has done his early schooling at Sainik Welfare School in Chennai. He has done his graduation from the National Defence Academy and on 19 June, 2004, he was commissioned to the fighter stream of the Indian Air Force. On 19 June, 2006, he was promoted as Flight Lieutenant and to Squadron leader on 8 July, 2010. Do you know before assigned to MiG-21 Bison squadron, he was a Su-30 MKI fighter pilot.
- Wing Commander Abhinandan is married to a retired IAF Squadron Leader Tanvi Marwah and has two children. His brother also serves the Indian Air Force. Abhinandan likes reading and he is an outstanding speaker.
- Let us tell you that Wing Commander Abhinandan is one of the very few soldiers who was captured by the Pakistan army during the India-Pakistan military confrontation. And the good thing is that he came back alive.
- The most important is that, Wing Commander Abhinandan is the only pilot who has destroyed an advanced PAK F-16 fighter jet with IAF MiG21 fighter plane. No doubt, he has created a history in the world.
Note: Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman was caught by Pakistan on 27 February after his MiG-21 Bison fighter jet was hit in a dogfight with Pakistan Air Force and came down across the line of Control (LoC). Finally, he was released and handed over to India at the Wagah-Attari border crossing on 1 March. Before the incident, he was posted with the MiG-21 squadron in Srinagar.
- According to the Defence Ministry, on the Independence Day 2019, Wing Commander Abhinandan will be awarded with Vir Chakra. Let us tell you that it is the country's third-highest war time gallantry medal.
No doubt, Wing Commander Abhinandan exemplary courage and dignity has inspired us and set an example. He has become a symbol of a new and fearless India.