Nowadays, there are too many engineers who are coming to the public sector organization, leaving away lucrative offers from multinational companies because of the job stability and security available in the government service. Here, we shall look at the jobs available in the government sector for thousands of engineers passing every year in India.
- The Indian Engineering Service (IES): Indian Engineering Service is conducted annually by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) in order to recruit engineers in various ministries and government organizations such as the Border Roads Organization, Central Water Commission, and Central Electricity Authority, etc. It is one of the most sought after jobs for engineers in India because of its elite status along with a decent pay package attached to it. One needs to be a graduate in engineering and to be within 30 years of age. The examination consists of a written test followed by interview.
- SSC Junior Engineer: As per the mandate given to Staff Selection Commission by the Government of India, these posts are Group B posts of Central Government departments as well as organizations such as the Central Water Commission, Central Public Works Department and Department of Posts etc. The examination consists of only the written test and the pay scale attached to the posts is 9300-34800 with the grade pay being 4200. The posts offer decent career progression and a decent family life as well.
- IT Officer: IT officers are recruited in public sector banks these days through the Common Written Examination conducted by IBPS. The duties of IT Officers in banks include taking care of the software and hardware used in the bank in order to ensure smooth functioning of banking operations. The compensation package is lesser than the above two jobs and the career growth avenues are not as good as a PO in a bank. The place of posting is always in the regional offices of the concerned bank.
- Railway Senior Section Engineer / Junior Engineer: Indian Railways conducts an open recruitment examination to recruit engineers in the capacity of Junior Engineer and Senior Section Engineer. The Pay bands for Junior Engineer and Senior Section Engineer are same but the grade pay for the first is 4200 whereas for the latter, it is 4600. The posts offer decent opportunities of career growth as well as job stability and security along with social status. The qualification required is graduation in engineering in streams such as civil, mechanical, electrical etc.
- Recruitment through GATE Examination: There are a number of Maharatna , Navaratna and Miniratna companies in India such as ONGC, GAIL India, SAIL, Coal India Limited, Indian Oil Corporation, Oil India Limited, HPCL, Bharat Petroleum etc. These organizations recruit engineers every year through the GATE Examination followed by interviews. Though the compensation packages differ, it is around Rs 10 lakhs CTC Per Annum on an average. Coupled with job security and stability, these jobs offer lucrative career growth opportunities as well.
- Recruitment in Government Organisations: Other than the above mentioned organisations, many government organisations are there that need engineers for smooth functioning and recruitment advertisements often come for various posts in organisations such as TRAI, Dredging Corporation of India Limited, GRSE, National Aluminum Company Limited, BSF, DRDO etc. The compensation package offered is impressive in all these premier government enterprises along with job security and stability.