If the thought of becoming the next Narayan Murthi or AzimPremjievercrossed your mind, then do consider making a career in Software Engineering. However, you must have tremendous interest and aptitude in technology, mathematics and computers as this sector needs you to work with a technological, analytical and logical sense.
Without further ado, Let’s explore the field of software engineering as a career option.
What is Software Engineering?
It is a branch of computer science that deals in the development and building of applications, software and computer systems. Software Engineers apply the technical principles of computer science, engineering and mathematics to design, develop and test the software systems for enabling computers to perform various complex tasks effectively. They are involved in the design and development of softwares, and some of the specialized field of their work are:
- Software Design
- Software Development
- Software Testing
- Software Maintenance
- Software Engineering Management
- Software Configuration Management
- Software Development Process
- Software Quality Check
Career paths in software engineering
Software Engineering is a diverse field that deals in various aspects of development ofcomputerbased applications. However, there are four primary areas of specialization in the field of software engineering:
It includes the study of problem-solving and non-web based software development through programming languages such as Java and others.
It includes the work of designing and coding to support application development, and includes languages such as C++ and C.
Embedded System Development
This role involves designing computing systems and software to work on non-computing devices, such as automobiles. It uses programming languages such as C and assembly languages.
Key Courses in Software Engineering
You can start your career in Software Engineering right after passing class 12th board exam in science stream. The different types of courses available in Software Engineering are:
- Diploma in Software Engineering
- Post Graduate Diploma in Advanced Software and Network Technology
Diploma courses in Software Engineering are generally of 1 year duration, and the eligibility to join diploma course is class 12th pass in pure science stream.
Bachelor Degree Courses
- B.E. (Software Engineering)
- B.Sc. (Software Engineering)
- B.Tech. (Computer Science & Software Engineering)
- B.Tech. (Software Engineering)
Bachelor Degree courses in Software Engineering are of 4 years duration, and the eligibility to this course is class 12th pass in pure science stream.
In addition, top software engineering colleges offer admission through All India Entrance Tests such as JEE and AIEEE.
Master Degree Courses
- M.E. (Knowledge Engineering)
- M.E. (Software Engineering)
- M.Sc. (Computer Technology)
- M.Sc. (Software Engineering)
- M.Tech. (Control Engineering)
- M.Tech. (Control Systems)
- M.Tech. (Software Engineering)
Master Degree courses in Software Engineering are of 4 years duration, and the eligibility to this course is a Bachelor Degree in Software Engineering.
In addition, top software engineering colleges offer admission through All India Entrance Tests such as GATE.
- Ph.D. (Software Engineering)
You can also pursue Ph.D. in Software Engineering after completing Masters in Software Engineering, and move into the academic or research field.
Skills & Responsibilities in Software Engineering
Typical day-to-day activities and skill sets for software engineers includes:
- Analyzing end-users need and develop cost-effective software solution within time
- Fluency in programming languages such as C++, Python, Java and PHP to meet clients requirements with perfection
- Programming, testing, monitoring and documenting changes to computer systems and applications
- Examination of departmental goals and develop custom computer systems accordingly
- Upgrading existing computer programs to update platforms with new specifications
- Recommending changes and improvement areas to existing software systems and computer applications
- Coordinating with system installation and monitor equipment functioning to make sure project requirement are met.
- Responsible for system security and data assurance across the systems
Career Prospects in Software Engineering
With the rise of internet and other communication systems, a career in software engineering can be rewarding across every industry. Today, top software companies such as IBM, Wipro Ltd, Infosys and Dell are looking to hire fresh software engineers who are good at computer based application development.
The job of an entry-level software engineer is likely to test and monitor on-going designs. However, with some years of experience, they may be absorbed in the role of designing and developing application based software. As you gain experience and expertise in this profession, you get more opportunities. For example, with rich experience in software engineering, you can work as system engineers or freelance consultants or even you start your own software consulting firm. In the field of software engineering, you can work as:
- Chief Information Officer
- Chief Technical Officer
- Director Quality Engineering
- Independent Consultants
- Information Systems Manager
- Project Manager
- Software Designers
- Software Development Engineer
- Software Programmers
- Systems Designers
Talking about the salary package, as a fresher you can expect to earn in the range of Rs.25, 000 to Rs. 30,000. However, with years of experience in software engineering, sky is the limit.
If you are really looking forward to make a career in software engineering, then the information provided in this video will surely help you to make the right decision. To watch more career videos, logon to jagranjosh.com.