If you are looking very forward for a career in Early Childhood Education & Kindergarten then, knowing about this field inside outside is a necessary step. You cannot just get your qualification and course done to start teaching. Career in Early Childhood Education & Kindergarten requires you to fully prepare from start till the end to discharge your duties and play your role honestly and efficiently.
Teaching has always been very demanding career and it becomes more important when it comes to small kids and early childhood education. Such a teacher plays a bridge who successfully prepares children for their future elementary school phase. Career in Early Childhood Education & Kindergarten is characterized with complete dedication, hard work and patience.
Early Childhood Education (ECE): What is it?
ECE or early childhood education is an educational branch that is deals with educating younger children up to attaining the age of eight years. This has become a very important decision among parents where they need to prefer their child to learn as many things as he/she can. You might have come across various preparatory, kindergarten and play schools these days where they follow “Learn through play” philosophy. A teacher is a person who professionally makes such learning possible.
What are the minimum requirements to seek career in Early Childhood Education & Kindergarten?
One must possess at least a bachelor’s degree to become such professional at private school level; even if you are a post graduate degree holder then also you can pursue this career. Early childhood and kindergarten education courses/ degree programme makes you learn various styles, techniques and interactive ways to deal with such young children. Such courses also specialize in behavioral, psychological and physical aspects of a child as well so that all the three are developed well.
What are the Courses required for seeking career in Early Childhood Education & Kindergarten?
Before you know about the courses that makes you eligible for such a career, learn about licensing which is required to teach at government schools and kindergartens.
If you want to teach in any government school then, it is mandatory to get certified by your state board of education however this is not required by private schools. You can apply for specific teaching type and get licensed in same. Some boards prefer such license approvals on the basis of test, technology training or minimum marks.
There are numerous courses available which prepares you for the overall development of a child. Some of the common courses available are:
• Education methods and philosophies
• Classroom Management
• Role of technology in classrooms
• Educational psychology
• Child Development
• Curriculum Planning
• Operations and management
You can pursue these after your minimum eligibility or after your post-graduation to further advance in teaching role. These courses can be done from any private college/university/institute/center or from any governmental agency. The duration of such courses varies from one year to two years as per the standard predefined curriculum.
What are the certification options for pursuing a career in Early Childhood Education & Kindergarten?
Teachers who all are licensed from the state board and want to excel more in this field can opt for an advance certification. National Board for Professional Teaching Standards provides voluntary certification that is recognized by every state government for teachers. This organization also provides certification for the kindergarten teachers in various specialized disciplines, such as reading, writing, counseling, art, poems, management of library, and media. To earn such certification, teachers must have 3 days classroom experience along with a bachelor’s degree.
What are skills required for a soaring career in Early Childhood Education & Kindergarten?
The most important skill that is expected out of every teacher is nothing but “patience”.
• Apart from this, learning more before teaching is the mantra.
• You must acquire innovative ways to explain and make it more grasping.
• Learning about the daily routine and setting it before hands is another skill that is required so that you do not take it as a burden but enjoy this journey.
• Communication flow must be crystal clear with children so they learn what is being taught.
• Teachers must know how to use technology in the classroom efficiently and effectively.
If you are ready to walk down this path then, it is advisable to work a little more on your skills set.
Expected salary of a Early Childhood Education & Kindergarten teacher
When it comes to the lifestyle of a teacher in India; it is really sad. It’s bad to attach word sad with those who actually make others to learn and contribute in shaping this nation’s future. It has been proved that 90% of the teachers in this country rely on tuitions for better earnings. According to the pay commission, an average salary of a kindergarten teacher in Kendriya Vidyalaya is Rs. 7000-9000 and for the post graduate teacher sis 15000-18000. These salaries are very low as compared to the other countries like Germany, New Zealand, Russia, USA, and United Kingdom.
Where to find jobs for Early Childhood Education & Kindergarten teacher?
There are various sources to find jobs for Early Childhood Education & Kindergarten teacher and some are mentioned:
• Job Portals are the best source to keep you updated about vacancies. Register yourself, upload your resume and keep up your hunt for it. Try to stuff keywords like teacher, teaching, kindergarten, childhood education in your profile so that your resume ranks on the top in recruiter’s search.
• Another way to find a job is through school websites and web pages; you can share your resume on their career option as well. This is the most efficient way to approach your dream school.
• You must keep yourself updated through school notice boards as well which are issued for general public in case they have vacancies.
• Another way is to get referred from your friends and family who are already in this teaching job.