Watching a beauty pageant or IPL matches on the television can be a lot of fun, but do you ever wonder about the strenuous efforts that go into organizing these glamorous events or who organizes these events in such a seamless manner? The answer lies in two words: Event Management. Event Management is an upcoming career stream that has attracted a lot of attention in recent years. So, let’s find out what event management is all about and also understand how you can pursue the field as a career.
What is Event Management?
Event Management is a dynamic field that puts your technical and creative skills to test. From formal events such as conferences, meetings, and convocations to casual events such as birthday parties, concerts, weddings, and festivals and many more; event managers are the first people to bank upon. The objective of this specialization is to create a memorable experience for audiences.
Why study Event Management?
Organizing large events with all the glam, pomp and glory might seem like an easy task, but like any other profession, a lot goes behind the scenes as far as event management is concerned.
If you want to excel in every event that has been entrusted on you by the client, then you must develop business acumen and a vision so that you are ever-ready to face the challenges and win every heart. A degree in event management will not only brand you as a well educated professional but will also expand your horizon to think optimally and churn out maximal benefits from the allocated resources such as time, money, manpower, and space. The programme will enhance your understanding of various facts involved in planning and organizing successful events.
Top Courses in Event Management
There are various professional courses that you can pursue in the field of event management. Be it a short term course or intensive courses for working professionals, all are directed at honing the skills that make you versatile in this domain. So, if you have a natural inclination towards playing the host and organizing events at any level, then it would help you formally learn the art of organizing an event. This will not only help you win applause from your clients but will also teach you how to forge long-term professional relationships.
You can start at an early age to earn a diploma in event management. All you need is minimum 50% marks at Higher & Senior Secondary level (i.e. in 10th & 12th) irrespective of any background. The best part of a diploma course is its duration. A diploma course is conducted for a time span of 1 year and then you are ready to join the industry.
To earn an undergraduate degree, you must possess minimum 50% marks at Higher & Senior Secondary level (i.e. in 10th & 12th) and you will earn the degree of B.A. or B.B.A in event management. Interestingly, the duration of an undergraduate course is 3 years and you will get a chance to work on internships and take a sneak peek at industry trends while still in college.
A postgraduate degree is a step forward in the field of event management. If you wish to earn the title of manager early on in your career then getting an MBA or a PGDM in event management will be a wise decision. All you need is graduation degree from a recognized university with minimum 50% marks.
Top modules to look forward to in an Event Management course
Planning a career in event management can turn out to be a success, if you choose the right specialization. Like any other field in management, event management too has several study streams to help students master the art of organizing events of different genres and at different levels. It also helps them specialize in different activities that go into organizing an event. The key study-stream options available in the field of event management include:
- Event Planning: Event Planning is one of the most preferred study-streams as far as event management is concerned. In this, students learn the detailed planning process for an event and the necessary steps that are required to make it a success.
- Event Marketing: Event marketing is another popular study stream. This stream deals with nuances of advertising, sales and promotion of an event and imparts knowledge about different modes of marketing that can be used to creatively organize an event.
- Budgeting and Costing of Events: Another study stream that requires special attention of students. Under this module, you will acquire the necessary expertise that goes into allocation of budgets, costing of each area and management of the production cost required to organize an event.
- If you are a people’s person and have patience to deal with never-ending questions from the media and the audience, then the field of ‘Public Relations’ is ideal. PR managers are hired by celebrities, business leaders, organizations, known-public figures and even politicians to manage their brand image in public.
- Event Risk Management: An uncommon yet highly rewarding study stream is ‘Event Risk Management’. The module helps learn about the percentage of risk that you can bear while organizing an event.
These are some of the popular modules in event management. However, institutes are coming up with more innovative courses and study modules that are in-demand as per specific needs of the industry.
Picking the right college is pivotal when it comes to building a vibrant career in this field. To gain professional knowledge and skills, it is important to choose the right institute that will impart rigorous training and academic skill sets required in the industry. Moreover, faculty support and placement play a major role in off-beat courses when it comes to recruitment. Some of the best institutes that you must target when pursuing a career in Event Management include:
- Anna University
- Amity Institute of Event Management
- Aligarh Muslim University
- Apeejay Institute of Mass Communication
- National Institute of Event Management (NIEM)
- National Academy of Event Management and Development (NAEMD)
- Indian Institute of Learning and Advanced Development
- National Institute of Event Management (NIEM)
Event management is not restricted to one area or industry. It is spread across a wide spectrum. Hence, you have plenty of options to pursue a particular job in the field of your choice. Some of the widely available options for the event management jobs are as under:
- Educational Events: You can choose this domain and can actively organise job fairs, book fairs and exhibitions, college events, and sports events at school and university level.
- Corporate events: If you are a people’s person and like to network, then corporate events will give you an opportunity to network with intellectuals while letting you display your professional proficiency.
- Entertainment Events: Another glamorous opportunity in the field of event management can come your way if you plan to join the entertainment industry. Organise events such as movie premiers, celebrity nights, fashion shows, movie promotions, and experience the thrill of being associated with broadcast media.
- Marketing Promotions: You can make your job profile versatile after joining this industry. A marketing event is the best platform to connect with the audience via Ad campaigns, road shows, product launches.
There are multiple options beyond the ones we have shared with you. So go out and pursue this promising career to cherish a rewarding experience every day. Because as an event manager you will bring smiles on hundreds of faces each day!