The Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) started Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prizes for Science and Technology in 1957 in the memory of its founder Director, late Dr (Sir) Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar. The SSB awards are conferred for research contributions made mainly in India during the last five years. Following are the fields in which these awards are given to the Young Scientists annually:
- Biological Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Earth, Atmosphere, Ocean and Planetary Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Last date to submit nominations: 31 March 2013
- Date of Award Ceremony: 26 September 2013 (CSIR Foundation Day)
- Any Indian national engaged in research in any field of science and technology within the age limit of 45 years as on 31 December 2012. Besides this, the overseas citizen of India (OCI) and Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) working in India are also eligible.
- The prizes are conferred for important and exceptional contributions to human knowledge and progress – fundamental and applied – in the particular field of his/her specialization.
- Contributions made through work done mainly in India during the last five years of the awarding year of prize
About Award: Each award winner will be conferred with a citation, a cash award of Rs 500000 (Rupees Five Lac) only
- The awardees shall be selected through Advisory Committees (consisting of minimum six experts including at least one former Bhatnagar Awardee in the respective discipline) approved by the Chairman of the Governing body of CSIR.
- After receiving the nominations, CSIR circulates the list of nominees along with the detailed statement of work and achievements of each candidate to all members of the Advisory Committee related to the concerned discipline.
- The recommendation of the award recipient will be unanimous or not less than 2/3rd of the members of the Advisory Committee have agreed to one name (or maximum of two names if they are judged to be of equivalent merit).
- The award in a particular discipline may be withheld if no candidate of indispensable merit is found suitable in the year
- The nomination must be filed according to the specified pro-forma available on www.csirhrdg.res.in and submitted along with a detailed statement of work and attainments of the nominee and a critical assessment report (not more than 500 words) bringing out the significance of noteworthy research and development contributions of the nominee made during the last five years.
- CSIR will consider a nominated candidate for a total period of three years, if age-wise eligible. Once such a nomination has been received, CSIR can correspond directly with the nominator for other information, in case required. If a nominee has resigned from his current post in India and has gone abroad, his nomination would be cancelled immediately.
- The nominations must reach the following address within the stipulated time: Incharge – SSB / YSA Unit, Human Resource Development Group, CSIR Complex, Library Avenue, Pusa, New Delhi-110012.
For further information, please CLICK HERE