1. World Economic Forum (WEF) on 13 April 2015 released a report titled Urban Development Recommendations for India under the Future of Urban Development and Services (FUDS) Initiative. The report has been written in collaboration with Accenture.
2. Employees' Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO), the retirement fund body, on 9 April 2015 suspended the 1000 rupees minimum monthly pension scheme from April 2015.
3. Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) on 8 April 2015 raised the transaction limit in exchange traded currency derivatives to 15 million US dollars for both foreign and domestic investors without having any underlying exposure. Earlier, the limit was 10 million dollars.
1. Nasim Zaidi on 19 April 2015 assumed the charge as Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) of India. He succeeded Hari Shankar Brahma, who had retired on 18 April 2015.
2. Former Governor of Assam and three-time Chief Minister of Odisha Janaki Ballabh Patnaik died on 21 April 2015 in Tirupati. He was 89.
3. The 13th UN Congress on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice was held from 12 April 2015 to 19 April 2015 at Qatar National Convention Centre in Doha, Qatar. The Summit concluded with the adoption of Doha Declaration.
4. Communist Party of India (Marxist) CPI (M) on 19 April 2015 unanimously elected Sitaram Yechury as the general secretary of the party. He is the fifth general secretary of the party.
5. Chhurim Sherpa, first woman to climb the 8850 metre (29035 feet) Mount Everest summit twice in a week was in news on 19 April 2015. Sherpa was in news as during her third ascent to Mount Everest she will take a cricket bat and two jerseys of deceased Australian cricketer Phil Hughes.
6. World Heritage Day was observed across the world on 18 April 2015. The day is observed with an aim to create awareness among the people to conserve and protect the valuable assets and cultural heritage across the world.
1. Car rental firm, Carzonrent India (CIPL) on 20 April 2015 acquired car-pooling startup firm Ridingo. The acquisition is aimed at achieving 6000 crore rupees revenue by having presence in 250 Indian cities in the next five years.
2. Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) on 16 April 2015 successfully commissioned the fourth 600 MW thermal unit of the OP Jindal Super Thermal Power Project (STPP) Extension at Tamnar in Raigarh district of Chhattisgarh
3. Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) and Russian company INTMA on 15 April 2015 signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to set up a gas-based power project in Kazakhstan.
4. Singapore-based investment firm Temasek on 14 April 2015 acquired InnoVen Capital India, formerly known as SVB India Finance, for 300 crore rupees.
1. The Supreme Court of India (SC) on 17 April 2015 appointed Vivek Priyadarshi to head the team probing the Indian Premiere League (IPL) scandal. The decision was taken by a SC bench headed by Justice TS Thakur.
2. The Supreme Court of India (SC) on April 17 2015 declared that it cannot issue guidelines to the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) on how to assess a movie before allowing its release.
3. The Supreme Court of India (SC) on 16 April 2015 declared that the fundamental right to speech and expression as provided by the Article 19 (1) of the Indian Constitution should not be misused to abuse nationally revered figures like Mahatma Gandhi and Subash Chandra Bose.
4. Union Government on 14 April 2015 decided to relax the quality norms for procurement of wheat in Haryana. The orders were issued by the Union Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution with immediate effects.
1. Finland’s opposition Centre Party led by Juha Sipila on 19 April 2015 won the General Election. Centre party, the advocates of wage freeze and spending cuts to regain Finland’s competitiveness, defeated the centre-right National Coalition party of incumbent Prime Minister Alexander Stubb.
2. India and South Korea on 18 April 2015 held high level defence talks in Seoul. The talks were held on the sidelines of four day visit of Indian Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to South Korea.
3. United Nations (UN) on 19 April 2015 released a report titled Global E-Waste Monitor 2014. The report has been compiled by the United Nations University (UNU), the UN’s think tank. The report offers a wealth of insights into the location and composition of the world’s fast-growing e-waste problem.
4. Union Government on 17 April 2015 decided to transfer training and apprentice divisions of the Directorate General of Employment and Training (DGET) from the Union Labour Ministry to Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
1. Three Indian race walkers, Khushbir Kaur, Manish Rawat and Sandeep Kumar on 19 April 2015 qualified for 2016 Rio Olympics. They qualified for the Olympics during the IAAF Race Walking Challenge at Rio Maiorin Portugal.
2. The Laureus World Sports Awards for the year 2015 were given in seven categories on 15 April 2015 at Shanghai in China. Ace tennis star Novak Djokovic of Serbia and sprinter Genzebe Dibaba of Ethiopia were named as the Laureus World Sportsman and Sportswoman of the 2015 respectively.
3. Indian batting legend Sachin Tendulkar on 15 April 2015 was elected as member of prestigious Laureus Sports Academy. He was named as member at the 16th Laureus World Sports Awards ceremony in Shanghai, China.
4. Brijbhushan Sharan Singh was on 11 April 2015 re-elected as the president of the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) for a four-year term.
5. New Zealand on 12 April 2015 won the 2015 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup men’s hockey tournament. In the final clash played at the Sultan Azlan Shah Stadium in Ipoh, Malaysia, New Zealand defeated World Champions Australia 3-1.
6. Mercedes racing driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain on 12 April 2015 won the 2015 Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix title in the race held in Shanghai, China.