General Awareness for MBA : 29 July to 4 August
Aug 5, 2015 12:57 IST
- The Reserve Bank of India on 30 July 2015 decided to put into circulation 10 rupees coins to commemorate the International Day of Yoga. The coins have been minted by the Government of India.
- ASSOCHAM (Associated Chamber of Commerce Industries) Study on Start-Ups released on 2 August 2015 pointed out that India is expected to produce at least a score of billionaires and many times millionaires among the start-ups in the next five years.
- Union Cabinet on 29 July 2015 approved setting up of National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) to back new and stressed projects may help restart the investment cycle.
- Two trains, Kamayani Express and Mumbai-Jabalpur Janata Express, derailed while crossing a swollen Machak river in Harda District of Madhya Pradesh (MP) on 4 August 2015.
- Legendary British singer Cilla Black, who had a 50-year music and television career, passed away on 1 August 2015 in Estepona, southern Spain. She was 72.
- Justice Iqbal Ahmed Ansari was on 3 August 2015 appointed as Acting Chief Justice of Patna High Court. Ansari is a senior-most Judge of Patna High Court.
- Operation Muskaan, an initiative launched by railway police to trace missing and destitute children and reunite them with parents, was in news in first week of August 2015. It came into news after Gurgaon Police traced 1094 children in Haryana during the month-long operation.
- eCommerce firm Snapdeal on 4 August 2015 launched its new service named Snapdeal Instant to enable delivery of packages to customers as early as within an hour of placing the order.
- Roland S Folger was on 3 August 2015 appointed as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Mercedes-Benz India with effect from 1 October 2015.
- India’s largest telecom operator Bharti Airtel on 4 August 2015 acquired financial solutions firm YTS Solutions for an undisclosed amount. With this acquisition, YTS Solutions will be integrated with the operations of Airtel Money Services Ltd, a subsidiary of Airtel.
- Microsoft Corporation on 29 July 2015 rolled out a free evaluation version of Windows 10 Enterprise edition for 190 countries. The free-trial will be available for 90-day to check out the new Operating System (OS)
- Kotak Mahindra Bank (KMB) on 21 July 2015 launched a mobile banking app named 'Kotak Bharat'. The application will require no internet connectivity.
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) on 28 July 2015 cancelled the Certificate of Registration of Sahara Mutual Fund. Its licence would stand cancelled after 60 days from the date of the order.
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) on 27 July 2015 imposed a penalty of 420.26 crore rupees on Hyundai Motors India Ltd (Hyundai). The penalty was calculated at the rate of 2 percent of Hyundai’s average turnover and it has to be deposited within 60 days of receipt of the order.
- Bharti Realty, a Bharti Enterprises' real estate firm, on 27 July 2015 tied up with Eros Group to develop a housing project at Surajkund. As per the tie-up, Bharti Land, the new development arm of Bharti Realty, will develop a smart residential project in Surajkund, south of South Delhi.
- Indian gold jewellery major Rajesh Exports Limited (REL) on 27 July 2015 announced the acquisition of Switzerland-headquartered world’s largest gold refining company Valcambi.
- The Computer Science Corporation (CSC) and Hindustan Computer Limited (HCL) on 23 July 2015 signed an agreement to form a Joint Venture company to provide technology services and solutions to the banking industry.
- Anil Ambani-led Reliance Group through its entity Reliance Unmanned Systems on 23 July 2015 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Augur Overseas Operation of Singapore to manufacture Aerostats and Airships in India.
- Union Government on 3 August 2015 signed a landmark peace accord with the National Socialist Council of Nagaland Isak-Muivah (NSCN (I-M)), putting an end to almost two decades long pending peace talks.
- The new simplified “Guidelines Governing Adoption of Children 2015” came into effect from 1 August 2105. The guidelines were notified by Union Government on 17 July 2015.
- Rural Development Minister Chaudhary Birender Singh on 4 August 2015 launched SAMANVAY, a compilation of all schemes of both Union and State governments for Gram Panchayats.
- The 193 member states of the United Nations on 2 August 2015 reached agreement on a new Sustainable Development Agenda for the next 15 years. It calls for eradicating poverty and hunger, achieving gender equality, improving living standards and taking urgent action to combat climate change.
- India in fifth week of July 2015 foiled a British Company’s bid to patent use of turmeric, pine bark and tea for treating hair loss and succeeded in protecting its traditional knowledge.
- National Directorate of Security, the intelligence agency of the government of Afghanistan on 3 August 2015 banned all mourning ceremonies for deceased Taliban leader Mullah Omar. It warned that any gatherings condoling his death would be a “legitimate target” for Afghan forces.
- Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) on 2 August 2015 lifted the 5-year ban on Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan on entering the Wankhede Stadium. The decision on removal of ban imposed on Khan was taken during the Association’s meet in Mumbai.
- Ace Indian gymnast Dipa Karmakar on 3 August 2015 clinched the women's vault bronze medal at the 6th Senior ART Gymnastics Asian Championships at Hiroshima, Japan.
- Indian champion Joshna Chinappa won the women’s squash title in the 15000 US Dollar Victorian Open WSA Event in Melbourne, Australia on 2 August 2015.