The Staff Selection Commission conducts Combined Graduate Level Examination every year as per the vacancies in the various government offices and ministries in the country in various posts. This year the CGL examination was scheduled to take place on 5 and 22 May, but it got further delayed to the month of August due to some modifications and technical changes that the commission is planning to make. The commission has hinted that it is toying with the idea of making the overall selection procedure online from this year onwards. Due to the announcement from the central government to abolish interview round from Group B and C posts, the CGL selection procedure has already cut down the interview round. The selection of the candidates, from this year would be made based on their performance in the prelims and mains written test and the skill test/computer proficiency test, depending upon the nature of the post. The CGL examination got such response this year that the website taking registrations crashed quite a few times, forcing the authorities to push the last date forward twice for the examination. Now, to handle such enormous number of aspiring candidates who would like to try their hands in the SSC CGL examination to break through to the government job sector, the commission is planning to convert the whole examination online.
Benefits of online CGL Examination
• Central Examination through connected machines: The most important benefit of the online examination is its ability to connect a huge number of applicants giving the examination at the same time. This saves enormous time and manpower, making it easier to conduct the examination in fewer dates for huge number of applicants siting for the exam. Keeping in mind the size of applicants giving the SSC CGL exam, this would be an added bonus for both the candidates and the authorities.
• Ease for the remote area candidates: Due to the fact that the online examination can pierce through to various geographical barriers, it becomes easier to set up examination centres in places where there used to none in the past. Mostly, in offline written examinations, the centres are selected in the metro cities or the urban cities in the country till date. But due to the advancement of technology, the examination centres have spread through the rural areas, giving benefit to the candidates in the remote areas.
• Ease of evaluation of answers: One brilliant aspect of conducting online examination is removal of the hassle of checking each individual scripts after the examination by the evaluating authority. The online examination has paved way for speedy evaluation, both manually and automatically, depending on the nature of the questions and treatments required for evaluation. It would take down the time to publish the results as well and would allow the commission to conduct prelims and mains examination back to back.
• Transparency of the examination: The online examination in SSC CGL would mean more transparent examination, where the candidates would be allowed to see their mistakes once they are done with the examination. The candidates would know what to expect from the written test they have given and allow them to prepare for the next test or move further without wasting much of their time waiting for the results.
• Cost Effective module of examination: Huge number of candidates take part each year in the SSC CGL examination and to ensure everything is in order for the offline examination, right from setting up the examination centres, question papers, answer OMR sheets, manpower as invigilators in the centres, evaluation manpower etc., the commission has to spend a lot of money. The online examination could easily bypass two or more aspects from this whole process, cutting the costs of the examination drastically in the national level.
Though, the commission has tried to produce results of the competitive examinations that it holds over the year in time, it often gets a lot heavier on the evaluating officers and they tend to commit mistakes. The online format of the examination would give rest to these people making the counting automatic and help them preparing the merit list on time. The workload due to the number of recruitments SSC deals with, also makes it a feasible option for the CGL examination. Those candidates, who have not given an online examination before, should not worry much as the process is quite simple and takes just a few sessions in the preparatory period from experts to master it.