What is SSC CGL Exam?
Staff Selection Commission (SSC) conducts the popular Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Examination every year to recruit candidates in Group B(non-gazetted- both technical & non-technical) and Group C (non-technical) in various central government departments as well central government organisations like Central Vigilance Commission, Election Commission etc.
Various Posts through SSC CGL
The posts are divided in two categories: Group B and Group C as SSC recruits in these two categories only through the CGL Exam. However, we shall discuss the Group C Posts only in this article
• Inspector of Income Tax: Though the grade pay is 4600 in the pay band of 9300-34800 for the post, this one of the most sought after posts of SSC CGL come under Group C of the government jobs. This job can be divided into two categories- Assessment and Non-assessment. Assessment seats are mainly for people who are involved in tax compliance, raids etc where non-assessment positions generally involve clerical work. However, promotion depends on regional and zonal seniority
• Divisional Accountant: This post is under the Comptroller and Auditor General of India office. Posting is mainly in various divisional offices of the department and sometimes, the accountants also sit in the state government offices. Job is mostly auditing various expenditure of the government under various heads and sending it to the head office with inputs. Pay scale is 9300-34800 with the initial grade pay being 4200
• Auditor / Accountants / Junior Accountants in offices of CAG: These posts are basically auditor jobs in various departments of the central government. The pay band is 5200-20200 with the initial grade pay being 2800 only. Promotional aspects are good
• Upper Division Clerk in various Ministries / Departments of Central Government: As the name suggests this is a clerical cadre job in various ministries of the government mainly in New Delhi or any other state capital or Tier I or Tier II cities. The pay scale is same as that of the auditor but the basic pay is lower i.e. 2400
• Tax Assistant in CBEC / CBDT: The post is basically a desk job with the requirements being data compilation or data tallying in the computer for these posts. The pay scale is 9300-34800 with the grade pay being 2400 and postings are basically in New Delhi or State Capitals or other metro cities. Promotion to higher cadres is based on merit as well seniority
• Compiler: The post comes under Registrar General of India and involves data compilation regarding census. It is mainly a desk job. Promotions are generally good and timely. The pay scale is 9300-34800 with the basic pay 2400. However, to be eligible for this post, one needs to be a bachelor in any stream with mathematics / statistics / economics as one of the subjects either as compulsory or an elective one.