The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) on 15 July 2017 appointed Indian-origin Canadian YouTube star Lilly Singh as its newest Global Goodwill Ambassador.
As the UNICEF ambassador, Singh will use her channel to showcase the organisation’s work and urge millions of her followers to work for children’s rights.
Who is Lilly Singh?
• Born on 26 September 1988, Lilly Singh is a Canadian YouTube personality, vlogger, comedian, writer and actress.
• Her YouTube channel’s name is IISuperwomanII.
• Since beginning her channel in October 2010, her videos have received over 2 billion views, and her channel has accumulated over 11.9 million subscribers.
• In 2016, she was ranked 3rd on the Forbes list of the world's highest paid YouTube stars.
• In 2017, she ranked 1st on Forbes Top Influencers List in entertainment category.
Roles of a Goodwill Ambassador
• A goodwill ambassador is a person who advocates for a specific cause on the basis of their notability.
• They generally deliver goodwill or promote ideals from one entity to another, or to a population.
• The United Nations Children's Fund is a United Nations programme that provides humanitarian and developmental assistance to children and mothers in developing countries.
• It is headquartered in New York City.
• It is a member of the United Nations Development Group.
• The UNICEF was created by the United Nations General Assembly on 11 December 1946.
• It was created to provide emergency food and healthcare to children in countries that had been devastated by World War II.
• In 1965, UNICEF was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
Who: Lilly Singh
When: 15 July 2017
Parliament passes Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018
Assam-NRC Draft can’t be basis of any action by any authority: SC
Government to soon introduce bill proposing death penalty for mob lynching
Ministry of Shipping issues new guidelines for improving treasury investment for Major Ports