World No. 1 women's doubles team of Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis on 15 May 2016 captured the Italian Open title. The pair defeated Elena Vesnina and Ekaterina Makarova 6-1, 6(5)-7, 10-3 in the final to clinch the title.
The Italian Open women’s doubles title was the fifth title for the Indo-Swiss pair after Sydney, Brisbane, Australian Open and St Petersburg.
With the win, Mirza and Hingis also captured their 14th women's doubles title together.
About Sania Mirza
• Sania Mirza is currently ranked No. 1 in the women's doubles rankings.
• From 2003 until her retirement from singles in 2013, she was ranked by the Women's Tennis Association as India's No. 1 player, both in singles and doubles.
• Throughout her career, she has established herself as the most successful female Indian tennis player ever.
About Martina Hingis
• Martina Hingis is a Swiss professional tennis player who is currently ranked world No. 1 in doubles by the WTA.
• She spent a total of 209 weeks as the singles world No. 1.
• She has won five Grand Slam singles titles (three at the Australian Open, one at Wimbledon, and one at the US Open), twelve Grand Slam women's doubles titles and four Grand Slam mixed doubles titles.
About Italian Open
• The Italian Open is an annual tennis tournament held in Rome, Italy.
• It is one of the most prestigious red clay tennis tournaments in the world after the French Open.
• The tournament is played on clay courts, currently during the second week of May.
• The event is also known as the Rome Masters and the Italian Championships.
• Rafael Nadal has won the title a record seven times.
• The 2015 Italian Open women’s doubles title was won by Timea Babos and Kristina Mladenovic.
• Serene Williams is the winner of 2016 Italian Open women’s singles title.
• Andy Murray is the winner of 2016 Italian Open men’s singles title.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 15 May 2016