India vs South Africa 2nd test: Virat Kohli records
Virat Kohli surpassed Australia’s Don Bradman to create the record of scoring the most number of 150 plus scores as a captain in international cricket.
Virat Kohli has become the first Indian captain to score 40 hundreds after he completed his 26th test century during India’s second test match against South Africa at the Mumbai Cricket Association Stadium in Pune.
Internationally, Australia’s Ricky Ponting holds the record for most international hundreds as a skipper. Ricky Ponting scored 41 centuries while being the captain of the Australian cricket team.
Virat Kohli achieved the feat in the 109th over of Indian innings on the second day of the second test match between India and South Africa. He now has a total of 26 centuries in just 81 test matches.
Virat Kohli’s records during India vs South Africa 2nd test: Full list
• Virat Kohli with his knock of 254 not out (his 7th double century)now stands at the 53rd position in the list of all-time leading run-scorers in Test cricket. He pushed past veteran Indian cricketer Dilip Vengasarkar in the list.
• Virat Kohli also created the record of scoring the most number of 150 plus scores as a captain in international cricket. Kohli with nine 150 plus scores as captain surpassed Australia’s Don Bradman who topped the list previously with eight 150 plus scores as the captain of Australia. Close behind them are Australia’s Michael Clarke, Sri Lanka's Mahela Jayawardene, West Indies' Brian Lara and South Africa's Graeme Smith with seven 150 plus scores each.
• He also has the most runs now as Indian captain, surpassing Sunil Gavaskar, who held the record previously.
• Virat Kohli has also become the second Indian cricketer to captain India in 50 test matches, surpassing the Saurav Ganguly. MS Dhoni currently holds the record of leading the Indian side for the most number of Test matches. He has led India in 60 tests.
• Under Virat Kohli’s captaincy, India has had the most successful run in Test cricket with 29 wins from 49 matches. MS Dhoni had led India to 27 test wins from 60 matches.
• With India’s win in the test series against West Indies, Virat Kohli also became the most successful Indian test captain overseas, surpassing Sourav Ganguly yet again with 13 test wins. Under Sourav Ganguly, India had won 11 Tests overseas from 28 matches.
• Virat Kohli also became the only fourth captain to score a century in his 50th match as captain. He joined New Zealand's Stephen Fleming, England's Alastair Cook and Australia's Steve Waugh in the feat.