GK Questions and Answers on Jawaharlal Nehru
Jawaharlal Nehru laid the foundation of modern India. He is also known as Chacha Nehru. He established several economic, social and educational reforms. After his death, his daughter, Indira Gandhi and grandson Rajiv Gandhi later served as Prime Ministers.
1. When was Jawaharlal Nehru born?
A. 12 November, 1885
B. 13 November, 1887
C. 14 November, 1889
D. 18 November, 1887
Explanation: Jawaharlal Nehru was born on 14 November, 1889 in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh into an affluent Kashmiri Brahman family.
2. From where Jawaharlal Nehru had completed his studies for a barrister?
Explanation: At the Inner Temple, London, Jawaharlal Nehru had completed his studies for a barrister.
3. When Jawaharlal Nehru got married?
Explanation: Jawaharlal Nehru got married in 1916 with Kamala Kaul and settled in Delhi. In 1917, Indira Priyadarshini (Indira Gandhi) was born.
4. When did Jawaharlal Nehru first time meet Mahatma Gandhi?
Explanation: Jawaharlal Nehru in 1916 met first time Mahatma Gandhi and was immensely inspired by him.
5. In which place Jawaharlal Nehru organised the first Kisan March?
Explanation: Jawaharlal Nehru organised the first Kisan March in 1920 in the Pratapgarh district of Uttar Pradesh.
6. When Jawaharlal Nehru became the General Secretary of the All India Congress Committee?
Explanation: Jawaharlal Nehru in September 1923 became the General Secretary of the All India Congress Committee.
7. Which of the following statement is/are true about Jawaharlal Nehru?
A. He insisted on the secular and liberalist approach
B. He imparted modern values and thoughts.
C. He encouraged India's industrialisation.
D. All the above are correct
Explanation: Jawaharlal Nehru focused on the basic unity of India. He imparted modern values and thought. He insisted on the secular and liberalist approach. He also advocated democratic socialism and encouraged India's industrialisation by implementing the first five-year plans in 1951.
8. Which newspaper was started by Jawaharlal Nehru?
A. New India
B. National Herald
C. Both A and B
D. Neither A nor B
Explanation: The National herald is an Indian newspaper. It was founded by India's first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru in 1938 and published by the Associated Journals Ltd. The founder of New India was Annie Besant.
9. When was Jawaharlal Nehru elected as the President of the Lahore Session of the Indian National Congress?
Explanation: Jawaharlal Nehru was elected the President of the Lahore Session of the Indian National Congress in 1929. The complete goal for independence was adopted in this session.
10. Name the words used by Jawaharlal Nehru while giving a speech on the eve of India's Independence?
A. 'Tryst with destiny'
B. 'Freedom for the nation'
C. 'Indian Constitution importance'
D. None of the above
Explanation: Jawaharlal Nehru used the words 'Tryst with Destiny' while delivering a speech on India's Independence as the first Prime Minister to hoist the flag from Lal Quila (Red Fort).
11. Which of the following books are written by Jawaharlal Nehru?
A. The Discovery of India
B. Letters from a Father to his Daughter
C. An Autobiography
D. All the above
Explanation: The Discovery of India, Letters from a Father to his Daughter and an Autobiography were written by Jawaharlal Nehru.
12. Jawaharlal Nehru's last detention was on...
A. 15 April, 1945
B. 15 May, 1945
C. 15 June, 1945
D. 15 July, 1945
Explanation: Jawaharlal Nehru's last detention was on 15 June, 1945.
13. When Jawaharlal Nehru founded 'Independence for India League'?
Explanation: Jawaharlal Nehru in 1928 founded the 'Independence for India League' and became its General Secretary.
14. Who produced and directed a TV series "Bharat Ek Khoj" that was based on Jawaharlal Nehru's famous book, Discovery of India?
A. Shyam Benegal
B. Bankim Chandra Chatterjee
C. Birendranath Ghosh
D. None of the above
Explanation: Shyam Benegal created a TV series "Bharat Ek Khoj" that was based on Jawaharlal Nehru's famous book, Discovery of India.
15. Jawaharlal Nehru died on.......
A. 20 May, 1964
B. 22 May, 1964
C. 24 May, 1964
D. 27 May 1964
Explanation: On 27 May 1964, Jawaharlal Nehru died due to a heart attack. He was cremated at the Shantivan on the banks of the Yamuna River in Delhi.
These are some questions and answers with an explanation on Jawaharlal Nehru’s life political journey, and major works, etc. It may be helpful for the preparation of upcoming exams.