Indian Air Force Day celebration was officially started on 8th of October in the year 1932 in order to increase the awareness of Indian air force in any organization of the national security sboth officially and publicly. The day is celebrated in air force bases all across the nation with air shows and parades conducted by air force cadets, as the Indian Air Force (IAF) has its prime responsibility of securing the Indian airspace as well as to carry out the aerial warfare during any clash.
It is known that the Indian Air Force has been a fundamental and crucial part of the defence system of the nation along with the Indian Navy and Army. The IAF’s first flight was formed on 1st April 1933. The first time IAF came into brave action was during the Waziristan war against the tribal. Later IAF got expanded tremendously during the Second World War. IAF has proved to be a great defence force during the war especially in Burma. Its anonymous contribution and achievement made the IAF win the prefix of Royal in 1945 and hence came to be known as the Royal Indian Air Force (RIAF). After the Second World War, the strength of the RIAF personnel’s increased significantly to 28,500.
Currently, the India Air Force has the strength of approximately 175,000 personnel and more than 1,400 aircraft. Not only it has the responsibility to safeguard the Indian Territory from all risks, but also provide support during natural calamities to the affected areas. The IAF has been involved in numerous wars: World War II, Sino-Indian War, Operation Cactus, Operation Vijay, Kargil War, Indo-Pakistan War, Congo Crisis, Operation Poomalai,Operation Pawan, and few others.
Indian Air Force Day Celebration
During the India Air Force Daycelebration, the day starts with air display of the Para Motor and performance of the Hang Glider. The aircrafts of IAF demonstrates air stunts on this great occasion. Along with the aircrafts, the Mi-17 Helicopters also displays air stunts during the parade. It is worth mentioning that the air warriors also perform rifle drills during the occasion. The Supreme Commander of the IAF is the National Commander of the air force has also contributes in many forms.In the last few years, Indian Air Force has been expanding immensely and has initiated the bringing up of women into the short service commissions.
Some Facts about India Air Force
• Indian Air Force ranks as the fourth best operational airforce in the world.
• Hindustan Aeronautics Limited that was formed in 1948 is currently the largest defense firm in public sector.
• The Indian Air Force functions with the motto “Touching the Sky with Glory”.
• The Indian Government, in January 2002, granted the rank of Marshal of the Air Force to Arjan Singh, thus making him the first and the only Five-star officer with the Indian Air Force and ceremonial chief of the air force.
• Indian Air Force is categorized into five operational and two functional commands.
• In 2010, the Air Force Network (AFNET), a robust digital information grid that enabled quick and meticulous threat responses, was launched.
• As per the estimates given, there are more than 1,499 aircraft in active service during the year 2014.