India is on first rank on the livestock resources followed by United States of America. The total livestock in India are- 14% Cows and Oxen, and 57 % buffaloes of the world. However, buffaloes contribute 53 % in total country’s milk production. Number of Cows and Oxen (Decreasing Order) - Madhya Pradesh > West Bengal> Uttar Pradesh> > Maharashtra. Number of buffaloes (Decreasing Order)- Uttar Pradesh> Andhra Pradesh> Rajasthan> Madhya Pradesh. 29.7 % of the total agricultural production in the country shared by the animal husbandry and pisciculture.
Importance of livestock resources in economy
• It provide additional employment especially in hilly, tribal, semi-urban and drought-prone areas
• It provides availability of protein (Milk, meat). India required 11.3 gram per day protein.
• Dung is used for the bio-fuel and manure.
• It helps in flourishing industries like- leather, wool etc.
• Milk producing state: Uttar Pradesh > Andhra Pradesh > Rajasthan > Punjab > Gujarat
• Egg producing state: Andhra Pradesh > Tamil Nadu > Maharashtra > Haryana > Punjab
• Meat producing state: Andhra Pradesh > Maharashtra > Uttar Pradesh > Tamil Nadu
• Wool producing state: Rajasthan > Jammu and Kashmir > Karnataka > Andhra Pradesh
Cattle breeding farms in India
• Suratgarh- Rajasthan
• Chiplima- Odisha
• Sunabeda- Odisha
• Dhamrod- Gujarat
• Hessarghatta- Karnataka
• Alamadi- Tamil Nadu
• Andeshnagar- Uttar Pradesh
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.