The United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) is a training wing of the United Nations System that works in Research & Development activities around the world. Its realm of activities empowered an individual’s, governments and organisation through knowledge and learning to effectively overcome contemporary global challenges.The United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) is a training wing of the United Nations System that works in Research & Development activities around the world. Its realm of activities empowered an individual’s, governments and organisation through knowledge and learning to effectively overcome contemporary global challenges.
UNITAR thematic areas of training and capacity-development activities
• Capacity for the 2030 Agenda
• Strengthen multilateralism
• Promote economic development and social inclusion
• Advance environmental sustainability and green development
• Promote sustainable peace
• Research and Technology Applications
Functions of United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR)
• Designs and delivers innovative training to address needs of individuals, organizations and institutions
• Facilitates knowledge and experience-sharing through networked and innovative processes
• Conducts research on and pilots innovative learning strategies, approaches and methodologies
• Advises and supports governments, UN and other partners with technology-based knowledge-related services
Governing Bodies of United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR)
The United Nations Institute for Training and Research is governed by the Board of Trustees supported by the voluntary contributions from governments, intergovernmental organisations, foundations and private sector.
The Board of Trustees is the apex governing body. It formulates the entire principles and policies of the organisation (institute’s) activities and also approves the work programme, adopts the budget, reviews the structure and composition of staffing and performs other statutory functions.
Programmes of United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR)
• Chemicals and Waste Management Programme: It supports governments and stakeholders to strengthen their institutional, technical and legal infrastructure and capacity for sound chemical management by offering activities under the environmental sustainability and green development thematic area.
• Decentralized Cooperation Programme: It delivers innovative training aimed at strengthening the capacity of government authorities and civil society leaders to contribute towards the advancement of sustainable development through a platform to exchange knowledge and facilitate cooperation among decision-makers from different levels of government, civil society and the private sector.
• Green Development and Climate Change Programme: It develops the capacities of individuals and training institutions in developing countries to advance green and climate resilient development in support of Agenda 2030 and the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
• Knowledge Systems Innovation: It offer activities under the economic development and social inclusion to achieve sustainable growth and development and to attain internationally agreed objectives such as the UN Millennium Development Goals, developing countries including Least Developed Countries (LDCs) need to fully grasp the social, economic, political and environmental implications of current and future challenges.
• Multilateral Diplomacy Programme: It provides training to strengthen the capacities of diplomats, international civil servants, and other government officials to perform effectively in multilateral working environments.
• Peacekeeping Training Programme: It offers activities under the sustainable peace through peacekeeping training supports.
• Peacemaking and Conflict Prevention Programme: Through this Programme, it addresses a strategic need within the UN System to deliver innovative training in negotiation and mediation, and to share the latest knowledge, tools and experience for the prevention and resolution of conflict.
• Public Finance and Trade Programme: It offers activities under the multilateralism, and economic development and social inclusion to develop their skills and enhance their effectiveness in addressing professional and institutional challenges in the areas of public finance, trade and intellectual property.
• UNOSAT – UNITAR Operational Satellite Applications Programme: It is a technology-intensive programme delivering imagery analysis and satellite solutions to relief and development organisations within and outside the UN system to help make a difference in critical areas such as humanitarian relief, human security, strategic territorial and development planning.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.