General Awareness for MBA : 9 June to 15 June
Jun 16, 2015 14:40 IST
- The High Level Committee (HLC) on railway restructuring headed by Dr Bibek Debroy on 12 June 2015 submitted its final report to the Union Ministry of Railways.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 12 June 2015 issued the final guidelines for the 6-year and 13-year cash settled Interest Rate Futures (IRF) on government securities with residual maturity of 4-8 years and 11-15 years respectively under the Interest Rate Futures (Reserve Bank) (Amendment) Directions, 2015.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) on 10 June 2015 approved two road projects worth 4721 crore rupees, one in Madhya Pradesh and another in Telangana. The projects will be executed under the flagship road building programme National Highways Development Project (NHDP).
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 9 June 2015 issued Draft Framework on Issuance of Rupee linked Bonds Overseas. It is intended to permit Indian corporate and International Financial Institutions (IFIs) to issue rupee-linked bonds overseas.
- Indian Railways on 15 June 2015 rechristened train No 19031/19032 Ahmedabad-Haridwar Mail Express also known as 'Haridwar Mail' as Yoga Express. The name was changed with immediate effect.
- Former Governor of Himachal Pradesh, ex-Union Minister and Congress leader Sheila Kaul died after a brief illness on 14 June 2015. She was 100.
- Union Government on 14 June 2015 launched Mobile Blood Bank Locator App. The app was launched on the occasion of World Blood Donors Day with an aim to ease access of information regarding the nearest blood bank in the country.
- World Blood Donors Day (WBDD) was observed on 14 June 2015. The theme of the 2015 World Blood Donor Day campaign is "Thank you for saving my life”
- The World Day Against Child Labour was on 12 June 2015 observed globally with the theme NO to child labour – YES to quality education!The day is the United Nations observance to bring awareness against child labour.
- Prof Sanghmitra Bandyopadhayay was on 10 June 2015 appointed as the Director of Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) by the Union Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MOSPI).
- Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal was on 10 June 2015 conferred with the prestigious 14th Sant Namdev National Award at a function in Pune, Maharashtra. He was awarded for promoting peace, communal harmony and universal brotherhood.
- Dr. Srivari Chandrasekhar on 9 June 2015 was appointed as the Director of Hyderabad-based CSIR-Institute of Chemical Technology (IICT). The appointment was made by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is President of the CSIR (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research).
- Buddhas of Bamiyan: Two 6th-century monumental statues of standing Buddha carved into Bamiyan valley of central Afghanistan.
- Online marketplace Snapdeal.com on 15 June 2015 acquired Letsgomo Labs, a mobility solutions company for an undisclosed sum. With this acquisition, Snapdeal will strengthen its position in mobile commerce as online consumers in India are increasingly choosing to shop over their phones.
- Aequs Pvt Ltd, a Karnataka-based aerospace component manufacturer, on 14 June 2015 acquired Paris-based aerospace component maker T&K Machine Inc for an undisclosed amount.
- Dick Costolo on 11 June 2015 resigned as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Twitter Inc after serving the company for five years. Costolo will demit the office of CEO on 1 July 2015.
- Vinita Bali was on 4 June 2015 appointed as the Chair of Board of Directors of the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN). Vinita succeeded Jay Naidoo, who led GAIN in the global fight against malnutrition since its creation in 2002.
- Ravi Garikipati was on 11 June 2015 appointed as Entrepreneur in Residence of online portal Flipkart.com.
- Amazon, the global e-commerce and cloud services firm, on 10 June 2015 opened a Fulfilment Centre near Hyderabad in Telangana.
- HDFC Bank on 10 June 2015 launched PayZapp, a complete digital payment and purchase solution. The mobile app will allow customers to manage credit or debit card details, recharge and pay bills, use virtual card, send money through a wallet and shop.
- PVR Ltd, India’s largest multiplex chain, on 9 June 2015 agreed to acquire DLF's DT Cinemas for 500 crore rupees. The board of directors of the company at its meeting approved the acquisition of the cinema exhibition business of DLF Utilities ltd.
- Union Minister for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Kalraj Mishra on 15 June 2015 launched a digital Employment Exchange for Industries (EEX) portal eex.dcmsme.gov.in which will connect employers and job seekers. The portal will help in linking Make in India initiative with Skilled India one.
- Ministry of Railways on 12 June 2015 decided to run Suvidha trains with dynamic fares from July 2015. The decision to run Suvidha trains was taken to address the rush during peak travel seasons.
- The Union Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA) along with the Tamil Nadu Government on 11 June 2015 launched the Migrant Resource Centre (MRC) in Chennai. The MRC in Chennai is the fourth such MRC in India set-up by MOIA.
- Union Government on 11 June 2015 scrapped customs import duties on drugs and test kits used to treat AIDS. The exemption will remain in effect until March 2016.
- The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) of United Arab Emirates (UAE) in the second week of June 2015 decided to include four Indian languages to offer knowledge tests and lectures to aspirants who appear for driving test in the country.
- The Israeli government on 14 June 2015 approved a bill that will allow the force-feeding of prisoners that are on hunger strike, if their lives are in danger. The Bill is called as Law to Prevent Harm Caused by Hunger Strikes.
- Spain’s Lower House of Parliament (Congreso) on 11 June 2015 approved a law that eases the path to citizenship for descendants of Jews who were forced to flee the country five centuries ago. Several Jews flee away from the country during the Spanish Inquisition.
- India, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Nepal on 15 June 2015 signed the BBIN (Bangladesh, Bhutan, India and Nepal) Motor Vehicle Agreement in the Bhutanese capital Thimphu.
- African leaders on 10 June 2015 signed the Tripartite Free Trade Area (TFTA) pact paving the way for creating Africa’s largest free-trade zone.
- Veteran West Indies fast bowler Sir Wesley Winfield Hall was on 12 June 2015 inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame. With this, he becomes 80th cricketer to be inducted in the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame and 18th from West Indies itself.
- Matt Prior, the English cricketer, on 11 June 2015 retired from all forms of cricket. The 33-year-old, wicketkeeper-batsman helped England to win three Ashes series between 2009 and 2013.
- FC Barcelona won the 2015 Champions League title on 6 June 2015 by defeating Juventus FC 3-1 in the final match held at the Berlin’s Olympic Stadium in Germany.
- Forbes on 10 June 2015 released the list of 2015 World's 100 Highest-Paid Athletes. The list has been topped by Floyd Mayweather and the only Indian to figure in the list is Mahendra Singh Dhoni.