Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has invited applications for the Junior Research Fellowships for the year 2014. The candidates selected for the JRF programme of ICMR would be permitted to enroll themselves for the Ph.D. programme of any University recognised by the UGC/MCI in the field of Life Sciences and Social Sciences.
ICMR in collaboration with PGIMER, Chandigarh will hold a National level examination on Sunday, 13 July 2014 for determining the eligibility of Indian National candidates for the award of Junior Research Fellowships (JRF) through Indian Council of Medical Research. The award of Junior Research Fellowship to the successful eligible candidates will depend on their finding placement in a medical college / hospital / university / national laboratory / institution of higher learning and research as applicable.
One of the oldest and largest medical research bodies in the world, the ICMR is the apex body in India for the formulation, coordination and promotion of biomedical research.
- Last Date for receipt of application: 30 April 2014
- Late Date for receipt of application for Remote Areas: 5 May 2014
- (Tentative) Date of Entrance Examination: 13 July 2014
Name: ICMR Junior Research Fellowships
Number of Fellowships:
- A total of 150 Fellowships would be awarded. (120 fellowships would be awarded for work in the field of biomedical sciences with emphasis on Life Sciences (like microbiology, physiology, molecular biology, genetics, human biology, biotechnology, biochemistry, bioinformatics, biophysics, immunology, pharmacology, zoology, botany, environmental sciences and veterinary sciences etc). 30(Thirty) fellowships would be awarded for work with emphasis on Social Sciences like psychology, sociology, home science, statistics anthropology, social work and health economics.
- Another 100 candidates would be selected for consideration for positions of JRF under various research schemes of ICMR (subject to fulfilling the conditions for appointment under the schemes) for the duration of that scheme. These JRFs would also be permitted to complete Ph.D. while working in the scheme, if enrolled. The validity of result will be two years for placement in ICMR funded projects.
Educational Qualification: M. Sc /M.A. or equivalent degree with minimum 55% marks for General/OBC Candidates and 50% for the SC/ST & physically handicapped candidates in the subjects mentioned below:
- Life Science Subjects -- Microbiology, Physiology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Human Biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Biophysics, Immunology, Pharmacology, Zoology, Botany, Environmental Sciences and Veterinary Science
- Social Science Subjects -- Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Social Work, Home Sciences, Statistics and Health Economics
NOTE: Appearing candidates may also apply.
Age Limit: 28 years as on 30 September 2014. Upper age limit relaxation is applicable as per Govt Rule.
Scheme of Test
The test will consist of one paper of 2 hours duration. The paper will consist of 2 Sections. The Aptitude Section (Section A) will have 50 questions on (i) scientific phenomenon in everyday life; (ii) general knowledge in sciences; and (iii) common statistics. All these questions would be compulsory with each question carrying 1 mark. The subject Specific Section (Section B & C) would pertain to (B) Life Sciences and (C) Social Science. The candidate may attempt questions in either of the two areas. Each area of section B & C would have 100 questions and the candidate may attempt any 75 questions in the predesigned area of Section B or C.
Candidates are required to indicate the option for Section B or C in the application form too.
Each question carries one mark. Negative marking @ 0.25 will be made for each of the wrong answer. The questions in both the sections would appear in English only.
The qualifying marks will be 55% obtained in both the sections (A+B or C) for General Category and OBC and 50% for SC/ST and physically handicapped.
Application Fee & Mode of Payment
General & OBC : Rs. 500/-
SC/ST/OPH: Rs. 300/-
Mode of Payment: The candidates are required to go to any branch of State Bank of India with the fee payment challan duly filled in and pay the prescribed application fee in the “Power Jyoti” PUL current account of ICMR. The Account No. of ICMR for admission is 32211616762.
How to Apply
Interested yet eligible candidates are first required to download the Application Form/Challan Form from the PGIMER Website http://pgimer.edu.in or ICMR New Delhi website http://icmr.nic.in only, and then send the duly filled in application form along with the PGI’s copy of the Challan Form to the Registrar, PGI, Chandigarh through Speed Post/Registered Posts on or before 30 April 2014. The candidates are also required to send two window envelopes (without self-address) affixing Rs. 10/- postal stamp on them directly to Registrar, PGI, Chandigarh before 30 April 2014
To download challan and application form, click here.