Staff Selection Commission has recently released a notification to recruit constables in executive cadre in Delhi Police for both male and female candidates from all over India. This is mentioned to be on temporary basis by SSC but as per the trends of previous years, these are all permanent posts actually and you do not need to worry about losing your job a any point of time. SSC has also mentioned that the posts have been advertised according to the vacancy details received from Delhi Police in this regard. Whatever may be the case, candidates will apply for the post given the high rate of unemployment and absence of government jobs in abundance in our country. In this article, we shall try to throw some light on the job profile of the post advertised since it is important to know the kind of work you need to carry out if and when you get selected for the post
Delhi Police Constable: Detailed Job Profile
The post carries the designation executive for the constables and that gives the impression that these personnel can take decisions on their own as in other cases, constables are generally not entrusted with decision making power in other police forces officially. Obviously, practically, they have to in case of field duties and patrolling sessions. So, what will be your job basically once you are into the job?
- Being the Officer in the field: This is the very reason you are called an executive constable. You have to be alert on the streets and have to take prompt and quick decisions regarding any incident that is taking place or has already taken place. It is very sensitive and constables are mainly responsible for first hand discharge of duty in the field.
- Patrolling in the streets: Well, as a constable, you have to make sure that fellow citizens are having a peaceful law and order situation in your area. For that to happen, you have to undertake patrolling activities frequently and regularly in the area allotted to you. This makes the job a field job basically though you may be allotted a desk job as well
- Assisting the ASIs in investigation: Yes, you have to do that as well. It is your duty to assist your superiors in any and every case they ask you to. Since the rate of crime is high in Delhi and adjacent areas, you will be on your toes to control the same and help the ASIs carrying out an investigation by accompanying them to raids or victims’ places or to the witnesses etc
- Filing reports: This is common for all government organizations since all government organizations love paper work. Yes, you will be made to file reports on your activities and you have to submit them to your seniors on a daily basis. In case you do not have anything special to report, you have to report anyway because you have to play by the rules of the book and by the nature of seriousness or practical approach required in a given situation
- Doing the desk job: You may be allotted a desk position even if you are also doing patrolling duties. You have to attend people who come to the police station to report their grievances before the police. You have to listen to them carefully and if necessary, direct them to your superior in case they want to register a complaint or file an FIR
- Doing multi-tasking stuff: Though it is said that there are class IV employees in the organization, you being the lowest in the hierarchical ladder, sometimes, you may also be asked to carry the duties of the multi tasking staffs in the offices. Being the junior most, you cannot deny that as well. This also makes up the job profile to some extent
The Delhi Police Constable job is simply not the one for those who want to make it big in life. Salary is not bad obviously after 7th Pay Commission recommendations have come into force and workload also is not that much for the post. However, you will be stuck in this cadre for the whole of your career since promotion takes place in mostly 15-20 years depending upon vacancy and seniority. Another issue is that, you have IPS officers filling up all the top posts and with a hectic job profile you may be left with little time to study for something else. Decision is yours but we strive to help you make an informed choice
All the best!!