There's good news for students who are not in a position to attend regular school for some reason, but want to pursue their studies further, as the Maharashtra state government is going to start the Open School Board (OSB) very soon. This will enable students complete their education outside the formal school education system.
Maharashtra education department will start this Open School Board on the lines of Open University. It will be established under the Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education.
Why Maharashtra State Board is Starting OSB?
In Maharashtra, about 5 lakh students, between Class I and Class X, drop out of school. Also, there are around 50,000 to 80,000 private candidates who give board exams without having the formal education. Either they have to study on their own or they have to rely on the tuition classes. So, to arrest the number of drop-outs and increase literacy in the state, the Maharashtra school education department decided to start the open schooling system.
Who will be benefited by OSB?
Any candidate will be able to enroll for class 5, 8, 10 and 12 exams. The candidates don’t have to be registered with any school. Besides the subjects followed in formal education system like English, Hindi, Marathi, Sanskrit, Science, Mathematics and Social Sciences, under OSB candidates will be offered some subjects based on the skill development like bakery production, screen printing, information technology, etc.
How OSB will solve the education related problems in the state?
Introducing the best practices for informal education under open schooling system will
- facilitate an easy approach to education
- reduce the rate of drop-outs and failures
- give opportunity to adult workers, housewives, differently abled persons and others
- impart vocational education to inculcate the career oriented skills
What are the advantages of Open School System for students?
- Open schooling offers the flexibility and freedom to learn at one’s own pace. It offers flexibility of:
− choosing program independent of your age.
− choosing the subjects of your own choice.
− not attend classes regularly.
− on demand exam, i.e., a student can give an exam when he/she is ready.
− time frame according to which a student can complete a 1 year programme in 4-5 years.
- It imparts education at low cost hence it is quite helpful for students having financial crisis.
- Another important advantage is that students who have dropped out of school or are pursuing sports professionally but they wish to pursue their studies further, can complete their education through OSB.
In the last few months, the Maharashtra education department has been finalising the structure and syllabus of the open board so as to launch their dream project ‘the Open School Board’ as soon as possible.