National Institute of Open Schooling popularly known as NIOS is a platform for students who want to complete their education in private mode. The education board was started by Ministry of Human Resource Development with an aim to provide education to the rural or backward section of the society who could learn without attending schools. It has become India’s largest open education board and is equivalent to formal education of other boards.
Latest: NIOS has started applications for Stream 1 (academic session 2018-2019) April-May examination - Check here how to fill the application form
Documents Required for NIOS Secondary and Senior Secondary Admission
Objectives of NIOS:
- To impart formal education to children from rural areas of the country where schools are not facilitated.
- To provide education to individuals who could not complete their education (not even basic education).
- For students who failed in qualifying examination of class 10 or class 12 from any other board can also complete their class 10 or class 12 in the same year with On-Demand examination facility of NIOS
Is NIOS a global board?
NIOS operates through 21 Regional and 4 Sub Centres as well as 6351 study centres in India and 31 study centres abroad including UAE, Kuwait, Muscat, Kingdom of Bahrain, Nepal, Qatar and Saudi Arabia.
How students can learn under NIOS?
Students can complete their Basic education from class 1 to class 8 as well as class 10, class 12 or vocational courses from NIOS.
For Secondary and Senior Secondary levels, NIOS offers flexibility for students for their choice of subjects and courses, learning pace, and credits transfer from CBSE, other national/state Board of School Education as well as State Open Schools.
NIOS Admissions 2018:Online and Offline Application Procedure, eligibility
The eligibility criteria of NIOS are the rules, which a student need to fulfill in order to be eligible for admissions to secondary or senior secondary level. The NIOS eligibility mainly includes age limit and academic qualification. Check below NIOS eligibility criteria as mentioned below -
Age Limit for Secondary course at NIOS -The students need to be 14 years of age at the time of admission
Age Limit for Senior Secondary course at NIOS - The students must have completed 15 years of age at the time of admission
NIOS: Tutor Marked Assignment
The Tutor Marked Assignment (TMA) is NIOS assignments to be submitted by the course enrolled in class 10 or class 12 levels. For each subject selected by the students, there are three assignments that carry 6 questions. Students are required to complete all the assignments and submit to the subject teachers/tutors/coordinators at the allotted Accredited Institute (AI) for evaluation.
How is NIOS different from other Education Boards?
1. NIOS is an open board of education for secondary, senior secondary and voluntary education and other boards like CBSE, ICSE and state boards follow a school system.
2. NIOS offers an alternative to formal education by providing distance education programme at 10th and 12th level.
3. Students who fail in class 10 or 12 board exam can avail the facility of On Demand examination so as to pass their failed subjects in the same year of their board exams. This facility is not provided by any other board.
Frequently Asked Questions and their Answers about NIOS
Students often come with a few queries regarding the authenticity, learning system, admission and courses offered at NIOS. Here we are discussing some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and giving the best possible answers/suggestions for the same.
Q. For whom NIOS comes as the best option to complete their school studies?
NIOS is the best option for those candidates who could not complete their schooling due to some unavoidable reasons like financial crunch, inaccessibility to schools providing higher education; those who could not cope up with regular studies due to different reasons or others who want to give more time and attention to sports or some performing arts.