NIOS Courses, Admissions and Examination Dates
NIOS offers education to those who could not complete their education due to some or other reason. Students who want to complete their education from NIOS can check here courses offered for class 10, class 12 as well as vocational courses, besides the exam dates and schedule.
NIOS is an open board providing education to all the students and youngsters from the rural background or who could not attend schools to complete their formal education. For all such students, the NIOS board offers the courses at different levels as mentioned below –
NIOS provides different courses for class 10, class 12 and vocational education
1. Open Basic Education (OBE) Programme – The OBE programme is for providing basic education to those who have basic literacy but no formal education. The programme is offered in three modules –
OBE Level A – Education equal to class 1st to 3rd
OBE Level B – Education equivalent to class 4th and 5th
OBE Level C – Education equivalent to class 6th to 8th
Eligibility for OBE programme-
All children, youngsters, adults can take admission for OBE programme.
2. Secondary Education Course – NIOS offers class 10/secondary education in 28 subjects including 17 languages i.e. Hindi, English, Urdu, Sanskrit, Bengali, Odia, Marathi, Telugu, Gujarati, Kannada, Punjabi, Assamese, Nepali, Malayalam, Arabic, Persian, Tamil, Mathematics, Science and Technology, Social Science, Economics, Business Studies, Home Science; Psychology, Indian Culture and Heritage, Painting, Data Entry Operations & Accountancy
Eligibility for Secondary (10th level) Education – Students who have completed 14 years of age and must have passed class 8th from any recognised board or NIOS
3. Senior Secondary Education Course – Students can choose subjects for senior secondary or class 12th from total of 29 subjects including 09 languages i.e. Hindi, English, Bengali, Odia, Tamil, Urdu, Sanskrit, Gujarati, Punjabi, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, Geography, Political Science, Economics, Business Studies, Accountancy, Home Science, Psychology, Computer Science, Sociology, Painting, Environmental Science, Mass Communication, Data Entry Operations, Introduction to Law, Library and Information Science
Eligibility for SSE (10+2 level) - Students who have at least 15 years of age and must have passed class 10th from any recognised board or NIOS.
4. Vocational Education Courses/Programmes – The vocational education programmes are offered to students as –
Six-month vocational courses –
- House wiring and electric Appliance repairing
- Motor and transformer Rewinding
- Radio and Tape Recorder Repairing
- TV Repairing
- Cutting and Tailoring
- Dress Making
- Certificate in basic computing
- Beauty Culture
- Certificate in DTP
- Certificate in Yoga
- Certificate in security services
- Certificate in Computer Hardware Maintenance
One year vocational courses at NIOS –
- Electric Technician
- Radio and TV
- Cutting Tailoring and Dress Making
- Refrigeration and Air conditioning
- Certificate in Computer Application
- Certificate in Two wheeler mechanics
Eligibility for NIOS Vocational Education – students need to be at least 15 years of age or 16/18 for some vocational courses. Students must have passed class 10th qualifying exam from any recognised board or NIOS.
NIOS Exam dates -
The regular examination for all courses at NIOS are held twice a year. There are two blocks for NIOS examinations as mentioned below -
Block I - for students who are registered between March and July
Block II - for students who are registered between September and January
The exam dates for Block I students, will be between April and May.
The exam dates for Block II students will be between October and November of every year.
The exam dates for On-Demand examination is through-out the year as per the requirement of students. The students can register for On-Demand examination starting from first working day of every month.
How to Apply for NIOS?
- Candidates can apply for NIOS board for any course in the following modes –
- Online registration from the official website i.e., www.nios.ac.in
- Offline/In person, by visiting the nearest AI (Study Centre)/Facilitation Centre and register online with their help.
- Or visit nearest Regional Centre for online registration
- Or students can visit any of the Common Services Centres of the Govt. of India for Online registration. These centres are located across India.