Common Admission test is conducted by IIMs every year and over 3 lakhs aspirants sit for it. It is the most sought after entrance examination for MBA Admissions. Find here the Solved Verbal Ability from CAT 2001 paper. CAT 2001 had 3 sections in it namely Data Interpretation & Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude & Logical Reasoning and Verbal Ability. There were 50 questions in the Verbal Ability section. It had 5 Reading Comprehension passages in it, there were questions based on usage of words, vocabulary based questions and sentence arrangement.
Directions for question 16 to 20:
For each of the words below, a contextual usage is provided. Pick the word from the alternatives, given that is most inappropriate in the given context.
16. Specious: A specious argument is not simply a false one but one that has the ring of truth.
17. Obviate: The new mass transit system may obviate the need for the use of personal cars.
18. Disuse: Some words fall into disuse as technology makes objects obsolete.
19. Parsimonious: The evidence was constructed from very parsimonious scraps of information.
20. Facetious: When I suggested that war is a method of controlling population, my father remarked that I was being facetious.
Meet CAT 2018 Topper Interview: Purav Gandhi scores 99.99 percentile in exam
CAT 2018 Topper Interview: Devesh Dhaka who scored 99.83 percentile
CAT 2018 Topper: Meet Samhitha Kasi Batta, youngest female engineer from Telangana
CAT 2018 Topper Jagesh Golwala Scores 100 percentile, an IIT Bombay student made it to the top