What is SSC CGL Examination?
Staff Selection Commission (SSC) conducts the Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Examination every year to recruit in various Group B and Group C posts in the central government in both the technical and non technical cadres. It is one of the biggest recruitment drives carried out by the Central Government every year. Basically, the group C posts used to be known as non-interview posts.
Non-Interview Posts: Bits and Parts
Let us look at the nature of the posts offered through the non-interview group of posts by SSC to understand about the power and prestige attached to the posts.
1. Auditor in Offices under CAG / CGA / CGDA: These are separate posts but are similar in nature of duties to be discharged. Auditors are responsible to keep a tab on the expenditure of various departments of the government. This is an office job with fixed working hours and decent scope for promotion. The pay band for the post is 5200-20200 with the grade pay being 2800.
2. Accountant in CGA / CAG: As the name suggest, accountants have to take care of the expenditure by their own departments and keep a check on it if it is going beyond the limits set by the government. The pay band for the post is 5200-20200 with the grade pay being 2800.
3. Upper Division Clerks: It is a desk job with the duties to be discharged being clerical in nature such as record keeping, safe keeping of files, data entry etc. The vacancies are basically in Delhi and the pay band attached to this post is 5200-20200 with the grade pay being 2400.
4. Tax Assistants in CBDT / CBEC: The posts are for different departments but the job nature is more or less the same. As a tax assistant, one is required to assess, verify or modify data related to tax liability of an individual, a business concern or in case of goods and services (in case of CBEC). The pay band attached is 5200-20200 with the grade pay being 2400.
5. Compiler: This post comes under the office of Registrar General of India and the duties involve compiling the data collected for Census by using various statistical means. This is a desk based job with the job hours being fixed. Pay band attached to the post is 5200-20200 with the grade pay being 2400.
6. Sub-Inspector in Central Bureau of Narcotics: The duties for the post involve prevention of narcotics items in state as well as national borders. The post involves hectic field work. The pay band for the post is 5200-20200 with the grade pay being 2400.
Among all the posts, in terms of power, both auditor and sub inspector of Central Bureau of Narcotics are good ones since these are related to prevention of wrongdoing as well as ensuring strict adherence to rules and regulations. Other posts are basically clerical in nature with very little autonomy or liberty to do anything of one’s own.