Tamil Nadu to get six new medical colleges, state releases Rs 600 Crores

Published on: Nov 15, 2019 08:47 IST
Register for Result Update

tn-new-medical-colleges-body-image

The Tamil Nadu State Government has sanctioned Rs. 600 crores in order to set up six medical colleges in six districts of the state. The medical colleges are to be set up in the districts of Dindigul, Namakkal, Ramanathapuram, Virudhunagar, Nilgiris, and Tirupur. As per media reports, the construction of the medical colleges is set to begin soon and the classes will commence from 2021.

According to reports which have surfaced earlier, the state health secretary Beela Rajesh had stated that the government has considered sanctioning Rs. 100 crores per college after the proposal for the same was put in by the Medical Education Director. The Tamil Nadu State Government will be bearing 40 percent of the building cost with the centre will provide the remaining 60 percent.

According to the sources in the state directorate of medical education who spoke to the media, the six new medical colleges will be beneficial to the poor and the meritorious students since the tuition fee will only be Rs. 4000 annually.

The strength of each medical college with respect to seats will be 150 which sums up to an additional 900 medical seats in Tamil Nadu.  With this addition, the total number of medical seats in the state-run medical colleges will rise to 4500 and according to the medical council of India there are 26 medical colleges in the state of Tamil Nadu and the addition of the six new proposed medical colleges will take the number to 32.  

Earlier, Pattali Makkal Katchi founder leader S Ramadoss had urged the Tamil Nadu State Government to set up a medical college in Mayiladuthiurai in Nagapattinam district. The state government has initiated preliminary work to set up three new medical colleges in Nagapattinam, Tiruvallur and Krishnagiri districts.

According to the PMK leader, a medical college is already functional in Tiruvarur which is close to 23 kilometers away from Nagapattinam district. Because of this Ramadoss has asked for a medical college to be set up in Mayiladuthurai instead.

Also Read: Jammu and Kashmir school students to be provided with free health checkup twice a year

 

Loading...
Register for Education News
Roll Number
Name
Mobile Number
Email ID
Gender
Your Location
Class
What you wish to study
What stream you wish to study?
Your Stream
Study Mode
Loading...