General awareness is a very important aspect for MBA aspirants. This article is aimed at enhancing your awareness about the current news and happenings that occurred globally in this week (20th August to 26th August). It will help you in your preparation for the competitive exams such as MAT, CMAT, NMAT, SNAP, IIFT, IRMA, FMS, XAT etc.
1. On 24 August 2016, Forbes released the sixth annual list of The World's Most Innovative Companies 2016. The list is topped by Tesla Motors for the second consecutive year. The list encompasses five Indian companies including
a) Asian Paints,
b) Hindustan Unilever,
c) Tata Consultancy Services,
d) Sun Pharma and
e) Larsen & Toubro.
2. On 23 August 2016, Forbes released the list of The World's Highest-Paid Actresses 2016. Jennifer Lawrence topped the Forbes magazine list for the second straight year with earnings of 46 million US dollars. India’s Deepika Padukone is the only newcomer to the ranking and the only Indian in the list. The second position is grabbed by Melissa McCarthy (33 million US dollars) followed by Scarlett Johansson (25 million US dollars) and Jennifer Aniston (21 million US dollars) at third and fourth position respectively.
3. As per the New World Wealth report titled “The W10: The 10 wealthiest countries in the world”, India is the seventh richest country in the world with a total individual wealth of 5.6 trillion US dollars. The United States topped the list with total individual wealth held at 48900 billion US dollars. The study ranked the wealthiest countries in the world as of June 2016 in terms of total individual wealth held.
Highlights of the Report
1. On 24 August 2016, the Union Cabinet approved the introduction of the Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2016. The Bill aims to regulate surrogacy, prohibit commercial surrogacy and allow ethical surrogacy to the needy infertile couples.
Provisions of the Bill
2. The Union Minister of State for Minority Affairs (Independent Charge) & Parliamentary Affairs Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi launched new Hindi website and updated version of English website of the Minority Affairs Ministry. The website (http://www.minorityaffairs.gov.in) is very user-friendly and provides easy navigation.
3. South India's first Children's Court was inaugurated in Hyderabad. After Goa and Delhi, Telangana has become the 3rd Indian state to have child friendly court and sixth in the country. The court was jointly inaugurated by acting HC chief justice Ramesh Ranganathan and TS director general of police (DGP) Anurag Sharma.
1. On 22 August 2016, India and Germany signed an agreement to foster conditions that will help create and improve workplace-based vocational training in India's industrial clusters.
Highlights of the Agreement
2. China has launched its first Tibetan-language search engine 'Yongzin'. The search engine will serve as a unified portal for all major Tibetan-language websites in China. It has eight sections for news, websites, images, videos, music, encyclopedia, literature and forums.
The search engine will meet the growing needs of the Tibetan-speaking population and facilitate the building of Tibetan digital archives and the expansion of databases in the Tibetan language.
3. Asia Index, a joint venture (JV) between S&P Dow Jones Indices and BSE has launched a new index to measure the performance of Collateralized Borrowing and Lending Obligation (CBLO) rate - one of most liquid rates in the country. It is a money market instrument that represents an obligation between a borrower and a lender as to the terms and conditions of the loan.
1. On 22 August 2016, International Kabaddi Federation (IKF) announced that the 2016 Kabaddi World Cup will be hosted in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. The tournament will take place from 7 October 2016 and will conclude on 22 October 2016. The Kabaddi World Cup matches will be held in The Arena by TransStadia, upcoming state-of-the-art stadium in Ahmedabad.
2. On 25 August 2016, National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) constituted a five-member review committee to probe the shooters' Rio Games debacle. The committee will be headed by India's first and only individual Olympic gold-medallist Abhinav Bindra.
Mandate of the committee
3. Vikash Anand has won a double to clinch the title in the MRF Formula 1600 category. He also won and a ticket for the Mazda Road to Indy shootout as the fifth and final round of the MRF MMSC FMSCI Indian National Racing Championship concluded in Chennai.
Check your GK by practicing General Knowledge Quiz at jagranjosh.com
For more updates on the general awareness articles, kindly visit this page
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.