IBPS RRB PO vs. IBPS PO: Which one to go for?
The IBPS exam season is going on with the IBPS PO interviews and IBPS RRB PO interviews coming soon. For both the posts IBPS conducts annual examinations. IBPS conducts RRB PO examination is basically for recruitment in regional rural banks. For some candidates, it often becomes a challenge to select between IBPS PO and IBPS RRB PO. Actually, it depends on the priority of the candidate and his long term planning. In this regard, it is important to mention that IBPS PO is next better to SBI PO in terms of salary and promotional aspects but at the same time, RRB PO can offer you home posting.
IBPS RRB PO or IBPS PO: The one to go for?
- Salary is almost similar: As far as the salary component is concerned, you have the same pay scale in both the jobs. So, the gross salary will almost be similar. There may be slight difference due to the fact that HRA component will always be more in case of IBPS PO.
- Perks are more in IBPS PO: It is obvious because of the nature of activity and the scale of activity these banks carry. Bank of Baroda is a sponsor bank in many RRB or for that matter, same goes for Canara Bank as well. This implies that PSBs win hands down in case of taking good care of their employees by giving perks such as lease accommodation in major metro cities, medical expenses, newspaper allowance etc.
- Posting can be anywhere in IBPS PO: If you are fascinated with the idea of travelling the country in your lifetime, IBPS PO is the best job for you or else, you can any day go for SBI PO. RRB PO will give you opportunity to serve in only one state or at the most, in two states. This is because most of the RRBs have operations only in certain states of the country unlike all India business of the PSBs.
- Learning is more in IBPS PO: If you are willing to go for banking in the long run, IBPS PO should be your pick any day given the fact that you will be exposed to a lot of facets of banking. One day you may have to handle treasury operations and the very next day you may be moved corporate credit. This helps in learning new things and improving the expertise of a person.
- Chances of promotion are more in IBPS PO: If you have large scale operation in place, you are certainly required to have right people at the right place. In this regard, you will have to have a good and progressive promotion policy. PSBs have that unlike the RRBs. So, if you are an ambitious person, IBPS PO should be your pick of the day.
- Transfers are less in RRB PO: This is simply because you have less number of branches and all these branches are concentrated in a particular state or two states. It implies that you will not have frequent transfers and even if you have, you are most likely to have it within your state or at the most, in the neighboring state.
- Home posting is easier to get in RRB PO: It is because the selection is based on local language proficiency and you are certainly going to be in your home state. This automatically increases the chances of getting home posting in the initial days of your career.
- Stress is more in IBPS PO: In case of IBPS PO, you will be under constant stress of getting more business for your branch and turning the branch into a profitable one. You have to sell third party products as well. In case of RRB, the majority is about agricultural credit and that does not require much marketing on your part.
IBPS PO and RRB PO both are officer level jobs but the difference is in the status of the organization you are going to work for. You have an organization (RRB) being financed by the other (Public Sector Banks). It is clear that Public Sector Banks (PSBs) will win hands down if you are talking about compensation package and promotional aspects. But if you are willing to use banking as a stepping stone in your career, RRB PO is a better option for because of less stress and nearby posting. Choice is yours.
All the best!!