Which post is the best through SSC CGL for female candidates?
Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level Examination is one of the biggest recruitment drives carried out by the central government almost every year. Read about the preference order that can be ideal for female candidates.
Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level Examination is one of the biggest recruitment drives carried out by the central government almost every year. The examination is divided into basically two tiers with the first tier being based on English, Mathematics, General Awareness and Reasoning and the Tier II being based on only Mathematics and English. From 2016 onwards (as proposed), there will be no interview for the SSC posts since interviews have been done away with for Group B and C jobs for which recruitment is done through SSC. Coming to posts for which recruitments are done, all the posts are open for both males and females, but taking into consideration the job nature of different posts; we shall look into the preference of posts for which female candidates should go for. However, the discussion is purely based on convenience of women rather than the eligibility of women for the posts.
The list below is made according to the preference order that can be ideal for female candidates.
- Assistant in IB / AFHQ / CVC / Railways / CSS / Other ministries or departments: These are the posts most suitable for women candidates in general given the fact that all of them are office jobs with fixed working hours and postings in metro cities or New Delhi (For example, for Assistant in Ministry of Railways, posting is always in Rail Bhavan in New Delhi). Pay Scale for the post is 9300-34800 with the initial grade pay being 4600
- Inspector in CBDT / CBEC / Assistant Enforcement Officer / Preventive Officer: Though these posts carry postings in field, generally women candidates are allotted desk jobs in these posts since there are provisions for both. The posts are suitable for women both in the sense of postings as well faster promotions since promotions are timely in these posts given there is requirement of officers in the senior level in the regions. The pay scale is 9300-34800 with 4600 being the grade pay. However, Inspector in Income Tax comes under Group C whereas others are classified as Group B posts
- Assistant in Ministry of External Affairs: This post should be given in the top 10 but towards the end because postings are both in foreign and New Delhi. It may be a bit difficult to maintain family life in this post due to that fact, otherwise, the job is good as postings are mostly in New Delhi while in India and Embassies or Consulates while in abroad. General Assistants should be preferred over Cypher Assistants since Sypher Assistants need to work in night shifts as well as with no fixed holiday. Pay scale for the post is same as that of the above posts with the post being classified under Group B
- Divisional Accountants: This is the best post through SSC CGL for female candidates though the grade pay is 4200 with the pay band being 9300-34800. Postings are mainly in own states with state capitals being the offices and a strictly desk job with no requirement of travelling outside the office. The job profile is mainly auditing various projects of the state governments and sending reports to the CAG head office in New Delhi. Since, salary is not as much as the above mentioned posts, preference is given to those posts over this one
- Inspector of Posts: A post classified as Group B of the Central Government with the grade pay being 4200 in the pay band of 9300-34800 for this post. The job profile is suitable for female candidates as mostly they have to sit in offices and take stock of the works done by dak sevaks in the grassroots level, however, if one has to meet the targets, one may have to go for canvassing in rural areas. Given the vast network of post offices all over India, chances of home postings are more for female candidates in this post and with timely promotion, one can go up the ladder very quickly.
The posts are classified according to the job profiles as well as salary and status (Group B or C) and the candidates can go through the profiles and select accordingly. The ones clubbed together are almost similar in nature in terms of salary, perks, job profile etc. and hence, candidates can choose according to personal views among them. Again, the last word of caution is, candidates should understand their own goals and give preferences accordingly since there is no provision of changing the preferences at a later stage in case of SSC CGL.