UGC NET Paper 1 Syllabus 2023: The UGC NET Paper 1 Syllabus 2023 has been released by the exam conducting body on the official website. In order to plan the best UGC NET Paper 1 preparation strategy, candidates should first analyze the official syllabus to identify topics important from the exam perspective. There are two papers in the UGC NET Paper 1 exam i.e. Paper A and Paper B. Paper A is a common general aptitude paper for all the subjects whereas Paper B carries questions related to Paper 1 topics.
UGC NET exam is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) twice a year to determine the eligibility of deserving candidates for ‘Assistant Professor’ and ‘Junior Research Fellowship Assistant Professor’ in Indian Universities and Colleges. The UGC NET paper 1 is conducted to assess the teaching and research aptitude as well.
UGC NET Paper 1 Syllabus 2023
Thus, it is important for the aspirants to possess and exhibit cognitive abilities including comprehension, analysis, evaluation, understanding the structure of arguments, and deductive and inductive reasoning. With this, they should also have a general awareness of teaching and learning processes in the higher education system. Further, they should be familiar with the interaction between people, the environment, natural resources, and their impact on the quality of life. To cover all these aspects of Paper 1, it is important to be thorough with the UGC NET Paper 1 Syllabus. As per the previous year's exam analysis, the overall difficulty level of the UGC NET Paper 1 question was moderate.
In this article, we have shared the UGC NET Paper 1 syllabus along with the exam pattern, preparation tips, and best books in detail.
UGC NET Paper 1 Syllabus 2023 PDF
Before applying, aspirants should download the official UGC NET Paper 1 syllabus PDF link shared below to prepare all the topics important from the exam point of view. Get the direct link to download the UGC NET Paper 1 syllabus below:
UGC NET Paper 1 Syllabus PDF
UGC NET Paper 1 Syllabus 2023: Important Topics
The UGC NET syllabus comprises two papers and the exam will be conducted online mode i.e. computer-based test. There is a total of 50 multiple-choice questions from the topics like Teaching Aptitude, Research Aptitude, Reasoning Ability, Comprehension, Communication, Reasoning (including Maths), Logical Reasoning, etc. Check the important NTA UGC NET Paper 1 syllabus 2023 topics below.
- Unit 1: Teaching Aptitude
- Unit 2: Research Aptitude
- Unit 3: Comprehension
- Unit 4: Communication
- Unit 5: Mathematical Reasoning and Aptitude
- Unit 6: Logical Reasoning
- Unit 7: Data Interpretation
- Unit 8: Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
- Unit 9: People, Development, and Environment
- Unit 10: Higher Education System
UGC NET Paper 1 Syllabus 2023: Section Wise
The Paper 1 syllabus for the UGC NET exam is divided into ten units. The important topics covered in the UGC NET Paper 1 syllabus are Teaching Aptitude, Research Aptitude, Comprehension, Communication, Mathematical Reasoning and Aptitude, Logical Reasoning, Data Interpretation, Information and Communication Technology (ICT), People, Development and Environment, and Higher Education System. Let’s look at the unit-wise Paper 1 syllabus for UGC NET in detail below:
Unit 1: Teaching Aptitude
- Teaching: Concept, Objectives, Levels of teaching (Memory, Understanding, and Reflective), Characteristics, and basic requirements.
- Learner’s characteristics: Characteristics of adolescent and adult learners (Academic, Social, Emotional, and Cognitive), Individual differences.
- Factors affecting teaching related to Teacher, Learner, Support material, Instructional facilities, Learning environment, and Institution.
- Methods of teaching in Institutions of higher learning: Teacher-centred vs. Learner-centered methods; Off-line vs. Online methods (Swayam, Swayamprabha, MOOCs, etc.).
- Teaching Support System: Traditional, Modern, and ICT based.
- Evaluation Systems: Elements and Types of Evaluation, Evaluation in Choice Based Credit System in Higher Education, Computer-based testing, Innovations in evaluation systems.
Unit 2: Research Aptitude
- Research: Meaning, Types, and Characteristics, Positivism and Postpositivistic approach to research.
- Methods of Research: Experimental, Descriptive, Historical, Qualitative, and Quantitative Methods.
- Steps of Research.
- Thesis and Article writing: Format and styles of referencing.
- Application of ICT in research.
- Research ethics.
Unit 3: Comprehension
A passage of text is given. Questions be asked from the passage to be answered.
Unit 4: Communication
- Communication: Meaning, types, and characteristics of communication.
- Effective communication: Verbal and Non-verbal, Inter-Cultural and group communications, Classroom communication.
- Barriers to effective communication.
- Mass-Media and Society.
Unit 5: Mathematical Reasoning and Aptitude
- Types of reasoning.
- Number series, Letter series, Codes, and Relationships.
- Mathematical Aptitude (Fraction, Time & Distance, Ratio, Proportion and Percentage, Profit and Loss, Interest and Discounting, Averages, etc.).
Unit 6: Logical Reasoning
- Understanding the structure of arguments: argument forms, the structure of categorical propositions, Mood and Figure, Formal and Informal fallacies, Uses of language, Connotations, and denotations of terms, Classical square of opposition.
- Evaluating and distinguishing deductive and inductive reasoning.
- Venn diagram: Simple and multiple uses for establishing the validity of arguments.
- Indian Logic: Means of knowledge.
- Pramanas: Pratyaksha (Perception), Anumana (Inference), Upamana (Comparison), Shabda (Verbal testimony), Arthapatti (Implication), and Anupalabddhi (Non-apprehension).
- Structure and kinds of Anumana (inference), Vyapti (invariable relation), Hetvabhasas (fallacies of inference).
Unit 7: Data Interpretation
- Sources, acquisition, and classification of Data.
- Quantitative and Qualitative Data.
- Graphical representation (Bar-chart, Histograms, Pie-chart, Table-chart, and Line-chart) and mapping of Data.
- Data Interpretation.
- Data and Governance.
Unit 8: Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
- ICT: General abbreviations and terminology.
- Basics of Internet, Intranet, E-mail, Audio, and Video-conferencing.
- Digital initiatives in higher education.
- ICT and Governance.
Unit 9: People, Development and Environment
- Development and environment: Millennium development and Sustainable development goals.
- Human and environment interaction: Anthropogenic activities and their impacts on the environment.
- Environmental issues: Local, Regional, and Global; Air pollution, Water pollution, Soil pollution, Noise pollution, Waste (solid, liquid, biomedical, hazardous, electronic), Climate change and its Socio-Economic and Political dimensions.
- Impacts of pollutants on human health.
- Natural and energy resources: Solar, Wind, Soil, Hydro, Geothermal, Biomass, Nuclear, and Forests.
- Natural hazards and disasters: Mitigation strategies.
- Environmental Protection Act (1986), National Action Plan on Climate Change, International agreements/efforts -Montreal Protocol, Rio Summit, Convention on Biodiversity, Kyoto Protocol, Paris Agreement, International Solar Alliance.
Unit 10: Higher Education System
- Institutions of higher learning and education in ancient India.
- Evolution of higher learning and research in Post Independence India.
- Oriental, Conventional, and Non-conventional learning programs in India.
- Professional, Technical, and Skill Based education.
- Value education and environmental education.
- Policies, Governance, and Administration.
UGC NET Paper 1 Syllabus 2023 In Hindi
यूजीसी नेट पाठ्यक्रम में दो पेपर शामिल हैं और परीक्षा ऑनलाइन मोड यानी कंप्यूटर आधारित परीक्षा आयोजित की जाएगी। टीचिंग एप्टीट्यूड, रिसर्च एप्टीट्यूड, रीजनिंग एबिलिटी, कॉम्प्रिहेंशन, कम्युनिकेशन, रीजनिंग (गणित सहित), लॉजिकल रीजनिंग आदि जैसे विषयों से कुल 50 प्रश्न हैं। नीचे महत्वपूर्ण एनटीए यूजीसी नेट पेपर 1 सिलेबस 2023 विषयों की जांच करें।
- यूनिट- I टीचिंग एप्टीट्यूड
- यूनिट- II अनुसंधान योग्यता
- यूनिट- III समझ
- यूनिट- IV संचार
- यूनिट-वी गणितीय तर्क और योग्यता
- इकाई-VI तार्किक तर्क
- यूनिट-VII डेटा इंटरप्रिटेशन
- इकाई-VIII सूचना और संचार प्रौद्योगिकी (आईसीटी)
- यूनिट-IX लोग, विकास और पर्यावरण
- यूनिट-X उच्च शिक्षा प्रणाली
Weightage for UGC NET Paper 1 Syllabus
Candidates should check the weightage of the sections specified in the UGC NET Paper 1 Syllabus before commencing their preparation. In order to get an insight into the section-wise weightage, question format, marking scheme, etc, go through the UGC NET Paper 1 exam pattern carefully.
According to the UGC NET marking scheme, 2 marks are awarded for every correct answer and no negative marking shall be applicable for incorrect answers. The exam duration will be 3 hours for Paper 1 & Paper 2 (without any break). Check the UGC NET Paper 1 pattern below:
UGC NET Paper 1 Sections
No of Questions
Reasoning (including Maths)
Information & Communication Technology (ICT)
People & Environment
Higher Education System
How do I prepare for UGC NET Paper 1?
The National Eligibility Test is one of the most highly competitive examinations in the country. With such high competition, candidates need to prepare a robust strategy that would help them to cover the entire UGC NET Paper 1 syllabus on time. Thus, it is crucial to check the UGC NET Paper 1 preparation tips suggested by the experts. Let’s discuss the best preparation tips to excel in the UGC NET Paper 1 exam.
- Go through the UGC NET Paper 1 syllabus and exam pattern before starting the exam preparation in order to prepare only exam-relevant topics.
- Pick the right books and study material suggested by experts and previous toppers in order to learn the basic concepts easily.
- Attempt previous year's question papers, UGC NET sample papers, and mock tests to improve the speed of solving questions, accuracy, and overall preparation.
- Create short notes for all the important topics as this would be helpful in quick revision before the exam.
- Revise all the covered topics regularly to retain the concepts longer.
Best Books for UGC NET Paper 1 Syllabus
Candidates should get their hands on the expert-recommended UGC NET Paper 1 books to achieve excellent scores in the exam. The right study material will help them to prepare all the topics mentioned in the UGC NET Paper 1 syllabus. Some of the highly-recommended books for the UGC NET Paper 1 subject are listed below:
- Trueman’s UGC NET /SET General Paper 1 by M. Gagan & Sajit Kumar
- UGC NET/JRF/SLET General Paper-1 Teaching & Research Aptitude by Arihant Experts
- NTA UGC NET/SET/JRF Paper 1- Teaching and Research Aptitude by KVS Madaan (Pearson Education)
- UGC NET/JRF/SLET General Paper-1 Teaching & Research Aptitude General Paper-1 by Upkar Prakashan